Monday, December 17, 2007

It Really Is Going To Happen

One of the reasons I became a broadcaster is that I am a big sports fan. When I was about 10 I would huddle in bed and listen to the Cavaliers, or Indians games on my transistor radio I got for Christmas. I seemed to get one of those every year from someone. I think at one time I even had a small collection of them. As I remember the radio ran on a 9 volt battery. They had a little earpiece too so no one could hear you have the radio on too late at night. Many a night I spent bending Bob and Barb's bedtime rules listening to 3WE or CKLW.

I was always in awe as the Cavs or the Indians were playing somewhere far away late at night and wondered how it all worked. I like you, grew up listening to Joe Tait and Herb Score. They were my heroes, and I wanted to be on the radio just like them. Joe and Herb and countless others spent years announcing games in Northeast Ohio usually for teams that were less than stellar.

I bet you'll remember it like I do. We really didn't care, it was just the way it was. The Browns were sort of good, the Cavs were new, and the Indians stunk. It was that simple. We cheered for the Miracle in Richfield, the Browns won some divisions and the Indians....well tickets were not a problem. Then we suffered through The Drive, The Fumble, Red-White 88, Micheal Jordan beating the Cavs every year, and the Indians.....well they just watched.

Then the 90's. The Tribe rocketed to the almost top, the Browns moved to Baltimore, the Cavs rode the up and down roller coaster. And we were there to cheer, cry and anguish and hope for REALLY better sports days. They are just about here!

In 6 days the Browns will be handed a center piece by every fan in northeast Ohio. And If they put it where it belongs and beat the Bengals, the puzzle will be complete. If it goes that way, for the first time ever the Indians, Cavaliers and the Browns will all make the playoffs in the same year! HOLY COW!

Is it world peace? No. But it is exciting! This is an honor usually reserved for other cities, and we just watched. Oh ...were watching still alright. These Browns are fun and well coached. Romeo should be coach of the year. I'm not getting ahead of myself and saying Superbowl, but I am looking forward to Sundays game. And you know what??? That feels good!!!!!!!!

Just as I'm looking forward to the Cavs second half, and the Tribe's spring training. We have all waited for so long for a year like this and it's here. All three teams in post season in the same year?? Something I could NEVER have even dreamed of, in my best of dreams under those covers after drifting off to sleep at 10 years old while the transistor radio played the last three innings of an Indians game I would never get to hear.

No comments: