Tuesday, January 22, 2008

King Of The Road? You Bet!

Tuesday morning's snow came at the worst time possible. Snow started falling about 7AM, and what normally is "rush 15 minutes" in Akron suddenly DID become "rush hour." 28 salt trucks were dispatched out to fight the fight, and even though there were some tough spots we all got through. Tuesday's snow was small but it got me thinking.

I knew a salt truck driver when I lived in Jefferson City, Missouri. I rode with him once during an 8 inch snowfall for a couple of hours for the radio station I was working for. I hosted the morning show and I wanted to know what exactly it was that they go through out there so I could talk knowledgeably on the air. That was about 20 years ago and I'm sure much has changed in the cab and on the truck, but I am pretty confident that the experience these drivers go though remains the same.

First we should all be thankful for these drivers. During the worst weather possible, somehow they get to the depot to even go out in the truck. At 3 AM I'm confident they would rather be at home sleeping with their families warm in their beds, but the show is falling and the job needs to be done. They are also very skilled as to the knowledge of the truck itself. Which I can say has changed immensely over the years.

Second their job is thankless. No one really stops a salt truck driver and says "thanks man, appreciate it." No...most just crowd the truck, pass on the right, beep at them, flip 'em off, complain that they haven't been on their street yet or scream because the plows going too slow. And that's a shame. These drivers work long hours all times day and night, and in a heavy snow fall they plow and salt the same stretch of road again and again. They are a special breed. I always joke about how much I'd like to "drive the big rig" but I'm not sure I'm right for it. To me it would be very frustrating. "Didn't I JUST do this street???"

Cynics would say to me, "well...they make all that overtime....blah blah blah....." Well good!! I hope they do. I hope these drivers make a lot of overtime because they darn well earn it. I'd rather give it to a salt truck driver than some politician or elected so and so who's sitting the storm out in front of the fireplace fixin' to crytic their performance the next day on the news or in the paper.

I know, I know you have some story about a bad experience with a salt truck, and I'm sorry for that. These stories do exist and that can't be helped. BUT that is the exception and not the rule. Think about it. When it snows, even REAL snow in short order we're driving highway speed to work or play. They do an amazing job that NONE of us REALLY knows the enormity of it all. Think about all the miles of all the interstates, main roads, side streets, parking lots..man when you really THINK about it..... it's huge!!!! And for the most part we take it all for granted.

Well thank you drivers. The Sultan of the Salt....The President of the Plow....King of the Cab....The Brewer of the Brine.....The Titan of the Truck. You're riding high atop the cab..King of the Road, ensuring safety and clear sailing for the masses. And this is one thankful commuter that wants to say "way to go" and have a Rolling Rock with you when the snow stops flying and we're celebrating a job well done! Think about it, it's a huge job that never really is done. The only thing that really finishes the job is late April or early May.

Spread out. Give them room. Buy a driver a cup of coffee. Shake their hands... maybe...just say thanks and appreciate and respect the job they do and the equipment they do it with. And know this.... that know matter what you do for a living on a day that the temperature drops and the snow flies heavy no one has a bigger job that day than they do. Thanks drivers..well done. Roger 10-4 and out.

No comments: