Wednesday, November 26, 2008

20 Thanksgivings, A Million Thanks

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, my favorite. I think it really captures what a big holiday should be. This year if you have invited someone over for Thanksgiving dinner that needed a place to go, good for you! I want to let you know that it is a wonderful thing to do.

Starting when I was in my early 20's I moved around the country, chasing better jobs in this radio business. I went where the money and opportunity was better, and I did it alone. I have come to realize that kind of life isn't for everyone, but I never thought about it much at the time. Till this year. And I don't know why. Maybe it was thinking a little more this year what I have to be thankful for. With the world the way it is today, maybe you're doing the same thing.

I counted. 20 consecutive Thanksgivings I spent with other peoples families. 20 in a row! Our small family has always done a great job at being together at Christmas, but Turkey day had to give. From Columbus, to Richmond, to Missouri, to Florida, I spent Thanksgiving away from my family, and with someone else' for two decades. And I am so thankful for them, it really gets to me. There were a couple too, that I spent just with the Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys on TV. Those where tough, but better times were ahead.

I never really thought about it much at the time, but when someone invites you over for Thanksgiving, it's a big deal. Not many holidays are more family oriented. I always showed up with a bottle of wine, and a smile, and plenty of "pleases and thank you's" to go around, and once in a while a funny line or two. But while watching someone else's family celebrate a big holiday, I remember always being thankful I had a place to go, a fire to sit in front of, someone to watch a game with. With people who thought enough of me to let me in to a real exclusive sanctuary. -Their family. I will never forget them and the good deed they did for me for all those many years.

So to Ray and Debbie, Tim and Kelly, and many other great families that took me in when they didn't have too, I am thankful to you, and in awe of your unselfish deed. If you have someone coming over this Thanksgiving that has no place else to go, you're doing a great thing. They will appreciate it more than you know. No doubt they will say thank you, and that will be fine, but know that deep inside them, they will always remember your kindness that day for ...well forever! I Guarantee It! Thanks for giving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Scott

No comments: