Monday, May 11, 2009

I'll Take On Tiger Woods

I love golf, everyone knows that. With that said, I'll say up front this is not an article on golf. It's on something much more important than that.

I would like to challenge Tiger Woods to a friendly game of golf at a local course. Say, Windmill Lakes in Ravenna. I played there Sunday morning and it's very challenging and really nice. After 18 holes, Tiger will have successfully wood shedded me, as his score would be 60 something, mine, 80 or 90 something. He can have a caddie, I'll get a pull cart. He'll have custom made clothes, I'll wear my TJ Maxx on sale fashions. His unlimited sponsor supplied golf clubs will be glistening in the sun, I hope I remember to wash mine the night before. He will drive some par 4's and eagle par 5's, I won't. He'll get to play for free, and I will somehow find the cash to play. And I'm totally good with all of that.

Because I am confident that I will handle myself in a much more gentlemanly fashion on the golf course than he will. Of that I have no doubt. That's more to be proud of, and that's the whole deal here.

Tiger Woods is a more than likely the greatest golfer to ever play the game. But his actions on the course at times on TV are anything but those of a champion. No one else will say it, but I will. His club lobbing, throwing, slamming, and dropping is ridiculous. His constant foul language directed at himself so we all can hear on TV, is getting old. His grim reaper act to TV reporters after a tough day on the course is embarrassing as well.

The TV analysts just call him "fiery" or "intense" and "that's just Tiger." And they would be right... but Tiger is wrong. As Tiger introduces the game to so many new players, his actions are not a part of the game, or any game. Golf is the game of gentlemen - period! When you're on the course you conduct yourself like you've been there before, even if your game doesn't reflect it sometimes.....like mine for instance. I play golf every Sunday morning with three lifelong friends, and we handle ourselves much better than he does.

No one is slamming or throwing clubs, or treating those around us like dirt. We don't play as well as Tiger but we want to play our best. We get "fiery", and "focused" sometimes, but never disrespect our selves our partners, or the game. Golf teaches you honesty, respect, and can challenge you at times like no other game. It can teach you more about yourself that most other games. Because it's you against....you...and the course. What other game do you call a penalty on yourself?

I just wish for the sake of young people watching and idolizing Tiger, that he would set a better example more than just being great at the game. Yea, I saw him last week signing the hat of the scoreboard carrying kid, and the hat of the fan he drilled with an errant tee shot, but it's still more than that.

There's more to being a champion than just being the best, winning and re-writing the record books like he's doing. It's knowing that there's some kid out there trying to learn this game for the first time with you as his inspiration..and caring that he is watching your every move. But to be fair, I didn't think of those things at Tigers age either. But it's time he does. His game is unparalleled, now it's time for his behavior to be the same.

We've all watched Tiger grow up on TV and in the media. Now it's time for Tiger ....to just grow up!

1 comment:

Minerva said...

Ah, Ravenna Ohio! A town founded by Benjamin Tappan, my great great great grandfather.

I think fame has gotten to Tiger's head. Would he act that way if his Dad was still around?