Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Movie Review - This Is It

It's been a number of months since the death of Michael Jackson, and now the movie many have been waiting for is here, This Is It!

No doubt you've heard about this movie. What it is, of course is the footage of the rehearsals and such from what was to be his huge concert tour, This Is It. Of course, it never happened. I purposely waited to see this movie. I wanted to see it with a small crowd and I did. I really wanted to see this movie for what it is. And to be honest, this is a real good movie.

Now let's not get carried away here. You've heard some Oscar buzz for this movie, and I suppose in some category there could be nominations, and maybe a win or two. But let's get a hold of ourselves here. This is not the best movie of the year, and shouldn't even be in that conversation. TII though is a very interesting movie that shows you once and for all, the sheer talent MJ was. You may have to divorce yourself from what you think of him personally and watch only what is on the screen. Fans of MJ will see this movie again and again. If you're a curious bystander, once will suffice.

With all that he was, good, bad, weird, strange, and all of that. MJ was certainly a monster talent. Even at 50 years old, his performance in this movie under candid footage is terrific. He appears to have great vision for his show, energy, and of course he still movies like he was 30.

I can't sit here and tell you I'm a MJ fan either. When he was in his prime, I was more focused on country music and true rock-n-roll, which he was not. MJ was the King Of Pop...period! I was aware he was around, but overall the music was too soft for me. But his legacy in stage show presence, and video making will go down in history as truly revolutionary. And if you were into MJ or not in the 80's, TII will remind you of his hey day and just how remarkably talented he was.

This Is It. This is supposedly a short two week run. Up front, you may have no interest in this movie whatsoever, and that's OK. But not being a real fan either, I will say this movie is real good...... for what it is. I'm still not a real fan even ofter seeing it, but he was a talent unlike very many others before or since.

No comments: