Sunday, January 10, 2010

"I Think The Worst Is Over!"

We all say things in our lives that we later wish we wouldn't have. No one gets left off this hook. Politicians, celebrities, us as kids, and even parents at some time or another say quietly, "Man, why did I say that?"

Last winter on the show while talking with my partner Sue Wilson, and team members Ryan Haidet and Chris Keppler, I said such a thing. It was about mid January and we already had a bunch of snow and cold, and I really thought in my heart that we had experienced the bulk of the bad winter weather for the season. It was just a feeling, no real scientific base to it. I mean, I watched a special with Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel about winter time trends. He seemed to think so too. Doesn't he know everything? So armed with that bit of "support" I felt that maybe this was it. It made me happy to think that! Then the ill-fated words...................

"I think the worst is over." I said it right there on the show. Sue was unconvinced. Ryan and Chris.....same. I mean it was innocent enough. Just a sentence to give my partners hope, that maybe this could be something big. A small winter that will just breeze by, and the glory of spring will fill the air with temperate winds, cool showers and all things anew, all while being accompanied by a wonderful musical heavenly bridge! I felt it, it was in my winter hating heart that we would laugh away February in our shirt sleeves and and light jackets. Such was not the case. I could not have been more wrong.....Winter went on till Memorial Day!

Over the past 12 months, I have heard "I think the worst is over," parroted back to me 1,000 times from my partners and others who work with us, and those who listen every morning. It could be weather related, or pertaining to an Indians, or Browns losing streak, or virtually anything else. And every time I hear those words rounding the corner and coming back to me full circle, it makes me laugh louder and longer.

It really tickles me when people remember something I said, even if it's something that comes back to bite my behind. Actually, that's the real fun of it for me. Many times the sentence rounding the horn and getting ready to plow into me is accompanied by a really funny imitation of me actually uttering some ridiculous phrase, complete with hand gestures and body language. And that really cracks me up!

My show partners are not alone in this. My golf buddies, the Sunday Morning Dewsweepers, do the same thing. Many times my optimism of the deteriorating golf weather conditions can get the best of me. I try to make the best of them sometimes, trying to stay positive about the conditions or weather, or temperatures. Trying to keep us all upbeat and happy that we'll get through it, even when it's not that warm or dry. I feel an obligation to them, as I am the senior member of our golf foursome. They get on me too. We all laugh about it. Actually with that bunch, Don, Joe and Tex, everything is fair game. We all dish it out and all take it with a smile. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

But isn't that a good thing? I have learned to laugh at myself much better because of the really great people in my life. I think at least for me the key has been, when someone thinks enough of you to remember what you said months ago and finds the humor in it, you should share in that too. Upon further review, that is endearing and flattering. After all their good natured ribbing is their acceptance of .....you! What a great gift that is.

"I think the worst is over" Is just one of the things I will probably really never hear the end of from my show partners and friends on and off the air. It will more than likely have a long, long shelf life.

- At least I hope so!

No comments: