Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Answer Is.... George Callendine

The other day I received some very sad news. A guy I went all the way through elementary, Jr. High and High School with passed away, way too young. I even went to nursery school with him. (is that still around?) Our mothers looked after each other's kids when one mom wasn't there, we carpooled..you know the drill. We were about 5.

We were in same homeroom together for years, so we really new each other. "TW" was exactly my age. I hadn't seen TW in many years. Maybe since high school. But if we would have bumped into each other at some point, it would have seemed as if no time had passed at all. That's the phenomenon of these early friendships. I have other friends that I made just about that same time as TW. Connie, Barbara, Scott M., come to mind right away. Kids I went all the way through school with and were friends with. Haven't seen them in decades either. Although I re-connected with Barbara at about 20, we worked the front desk of a hotel at the same time.

But this whole thing got me thinking. Take a look around you at the people in your life right now today. I am sure they are great, and you love them all. But more than likely you have not known them for as long as you've known others. Regardless of how long you've been together, there are a few that you've known longer and have known you same. It's kind of fun to think back. Who have I known the longest of anyone in my life? No matter how long it's been since you've seen them or even thought of them for that matter. As long as I knew TW, there was one I have known longer.

His name is George Callendine. When I was born in Columbus, George Callendine was my first friend. Our moms used to get together, and we'd play...in the playroom (do they still have those?) George even made it into some of our family pictures that have survived the years, and some home movies too. But as luck would have it, we moved to Northeast Ohio when I was almost five, and George and I were permanently separated. Or are we?

No, I'm not thinking of looking him up on Google or anything like that. Not necessary. Because no matter what technology or the Internet says, we are forever linked together in a more important and maybe a nicer way. Our names are the answer to our own personal trivia questions. In fact, we are the answers the to granddaddy of all personal trivia, "Who in the world have you known the longest?" I like that! I like being the answer to such a question. Makes you wonder how many times your name has come up in some after dinner, two glasses of wine conversation over the years. "I knew this kid...Scott Wynn when I was about 4.....yea we'd play Sorry, Lincoln Logs, building blocks and watch Leave It to Beaver re-runs back in the day! Wonder what ever happened to him?"

I have no idea what happened to George Callendine. I'm sure wonderful things as he came from a great family, and to be honest, it's not important to me. All that is, is that we are the forever linked in a way that is undeniable. First friends.

It is said too that we never remember the number 2's in anything. Superbowl runner-ups, silver medalists and the like. But not here. Even though TW was second on my actual list of life long friends, it was only so because of the dates, not of the deeds.

I always remembered him...still do...and still will.

2 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Scott,I'm saddened to read about your friend.My condolences to you and TW's family.

Franklin Taggart said...

George is still in the Columbus area. He's still a great guy. Look him up...