Friday, September 21, 2012

MOVIE REVIEW - The Last Ounce Of Courage

Over the years lots of people have commented to me that I have a great job -  and I do!  I have loved being a morning personality for over 30 years on radio, and I am lucky to love what I do so much.   But this week I learned something about a former classmate from high school and what she does, that has really stuck with me..  It's like really been on my mind all week because it's cool!

She is a captain of jumbo passenger jets for a major airline and has been for a long time now.   I gotta ask, how cool is that?  Seriously, who as a kid at least at one time or another didn't want to be a pilot, or an astronaut?  I know I did.  It was right up there with fireman, and policeman.   After I learned this almost by accident from social media, I was totally impressed on every level.   I mean someone flies these behemoths through the heavens, and we just take it for granted they are people that someone else knows.   But people do these kind of jobs every day.

She doesn't fly those little jets, you know the ones you take from here to Sheyboygan or While Plains with two seats on one side on one on the other.  Although I'm sure she can. She pilots the huge ones with multiple rows of seats, and the ones you are sure are not going to get off the ground as you seemingly are going down the runway at what feels like 25 mph upon takeoff.   

And it got me thinking that what we all do is relevant and important, even if we don't always think about it.  One wheel of machine can't turn if we don't turn our wheel first.  Hopefully you are doing exactly what you want to be doing for a living.  After all we spend so much of our lives doing it.  One should be following the directions of our dreams.

I always knew what I wanted to do and I was lucky for that.  And I'm sure the good captain did too. After all, you don't elevate to that position on whim.   She, I'm sure like me had a dream, and went for it, and is now living it.  With me, what I do is far more than a job, it's a lifestyle.  And I'm sure that being a commercial pilot is too.   And I admire people that practice their passion in what they do and are lucky enough to get paid for it.  The old saying is, "If you love what you do, you never work a day in your life."  Apt.

So it makes me glad to know a classmate is doing something so cool that it might be the envy of others she went to school with in a healthy way.  I am happy for her.   But I confess, I am a little jealous. Although upon further review,  I may not be quite right for responsibly flying people all over the world.  I wonder if she gets nervous when she has to crack the mic from the cockpit and give the, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speech?"   

That part for me, would be a piece of cake.   Well done  Captain A!   Impressive.

No comments: