Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Front Seat Bible

I can speak from experience that not many people are driving into work at 3AM.  Threre's an few of us, and I am one of the fortunate few that do.   It's an easy 25 minute drive.   A cracked open window, or moon roof on a smooth highway, music on... to a job that I love doing.  Most days it is a time for me to gather my thoughts and get ready for the show with Sue Wilson on WQMX that starts promptly at 5:30. 

Then there are other days like today.  When Hurricane Sandy has to be dealt with.   Like right this minute, I am at my local public library writing this article, because Sandy has killed the power at my house for the time being.  I'm tired of Sandy already.

Then there are huge snow days before the bulk of the plows are yet to get out.  That's when you know that it's really 3AM.  Or Hurricane Sandy days, like today.  It can make you a bit nervous with 70 MPH winds and driving rain on the highway.  Heck, I lived in Florida for over a decade and never drove in an actual hurricane.  So this was the first for me.   And I was a bit apprehensive as I walked outside of my powerless house into the elements and jumped behind the wheel my car, and fired it up.  

I did what you do then, turned on the defrost, the radio, and for some reason I had to adjust the seat position.  This, not being the fancy car, I had to reach under the seat for the black bar to pull forward.  And then I felt it.  Just behind the adjustment bar.   A big, blue covered bible, smack dab under the drivers seat. I picked it up and smiled. And then knew that no matter what Sandy had in store, I was going to be OK.   This was a bible given to me by one of my great friends Ray C. from usually hurricane prone Florida.  When Ray and I first became friends the better part of 20 years ago, he gave it to me and even signed the inside. You know the "To - Scott  From - Ray" part and even put the date on it, 1997. 

I remember being very moved by that act, and always valued that kind gesture and the good book given.  I remember years ago, I decided to put it under the front seat of my car for safety sake.  I put it there on the day I left Florida to move back home to Ohio in 2001.  I put it there to protect me on my long 16 hour drive that day, and in subsequent years to protect me on the 3AM drives.  I know that may sound a bit silly, buy it gave me comfort I guess.  But what I failed to remember until this morning, is that I have owned a bunch of cars since then.  And somehow, I have always transferred that bible to the new cars without ever really being aware I did. 

As I lay in bed last night having a tough time getting to sleep.  I have to admit I had a bit of stress about driving into the teeth of the bully storm, and was hoping all would be fine.  I am not a worrier at all and take things pretty easily.  But this storm was a bit different and I was concerned the drive might be too.   But if I would have remembered the front seat bible, sleep would have come easier.  

Of course today's drive was fine.  I took my time and drove confidentially in the direction of my radio dreams, and made it in to the station without incident.  Then I got to thinking.  I've been driving at that time of the day for years now in all kinds of conditions, all safely and on time.  So the good book must be doing a fine job.  At least it works for me.

I say, "God Bless the Front Seat Bible."   And thanks Ray.   What a great gift after all these years.  Peace of mind, on a day one was surely needed.

No comments: