Sunday, February 26, 2017

OSCAR PREVIEW - 2017 Winners!

Tonight are the Oscars, one of the biggest TV events of the year. Planning on watching? Here is my Oscar preview for tonight.  I will give you my choice as the best performances, and then the likely winner

Best Picture 

My Pick - I loved Hell Or High WaterJeff Bridges led a real nice cast in a very topical story. I am also partial to Manchester By The Sea. Great cast and a very powerful story. That movie also contained the single best scene of any movie this year.

Likely Winner - LA LA Land  -  But Hollywood also LOVES Hidden Figures.  Keep your eye on that one too.  I loved LA LA Land, but I was not on the Hidden Figures train as much as many.


Best Actor  

My Pick  - Casey Affleck from Manchester By The Sea.  Huge role, great movie, and he was amazing. Perfect casting of him in this role of  a enigmatic character you have never seen before.

Likely Winner Denzel Washington for Fences.  An amazing amount of dialogue, he was terrific.


Best Actress

My Pick -  Natalie Portman for Jackie.  This will more than likely be the best role she ever does, even though she is a past Oscar winner for Black Swan.  She brought Jackie Kennedy to life in an incredible way.

Likely Winner Emma Stone for LA LA Land.  This movie will win a bunch, and this is one of them. She was terrific in a role that was semi-autobiographical for her.


Best Supporting Actor

My Pick -  Michael Shannon for Nocturnal Animals.  On of the most authentic performances of the year.  A terminally ill cop from rural Texas trying to solve one last murder case before he dies. He was the gas in the engine of this movie.

Likely Winner - Mahershala Ali for Moonlight.  Hollywood loves this movie.  This is going to be one of the most popular moments in tonight's show.


Best Supporting Actress

My Pick  - Viola Davis for Fences.  She was powerful in a role that was opposite a gigantic role of Washington.  She was simply amazing.

Likely Winner - Viola Davis for Fences.  But keep your eyes on Michelle Williams for Manchester By The Sea.  One scene in that movie could win her an Oscar.

scott@wqmx.com

No comments: