Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Blogs Week 7

#1

John Wick 3

This is one of the most successful franchises that came out of nowhere, and has found an audience.  This is totally an acquired taste as these movies are rampant with tons of violence and long action sequences that are spectacular, but not for everyone.  Our favorite, retired hit-man is back at it again.

This is rich with parody of course, and is almost a cartoon of itself, but for many, me included, these are so absurd they are highly entertaining.  Seeing this, it is paramount you have seen the first two. Keanu Reeves found a diamond in the rough, and has turned out to be a huge hit


A Dogs Journey

More dogs making humans laugh, and cry. What else do you need to know.


The Sun Is Also A Star

This is the latest forbidden young love story to hit the theaters, and this has the potential to be quite good as the script looks, on the surface to be fresh.


#2

Have you been down this road? What do you do?  A couple years ago, my on-air partner Sarah Kay suggested to me that start wearing a watch.  She said it would compliment me, so I took her advice and went to buy one.  I started off with a simple black leather banded, wrist watch for a few bucks.

Well I have been needing new batteries for both of my watches recently and I was ticked off that replacing a watch battery can be about as expensive as a good lunch for two. So I put it off -  for a few months -   Until today!

I found this pawn shop of all places that not only put in a new battery, and set the time and date, they did it all for $5.99!  I have never been in a pawn shop before.  I didn't need a secret handshake, or code word, or anything.

Just $5.99 each and a couple of dead watches.    Thanks Nic!


#3

This is a HUGE month for BBQ, as National BBQ day was last week, and May is National BBQ Month as well.  I have rediscovered grilling and BBQing this spring and I am glad of it.  Seems I am on the grill a few times a week now as Windy and I both enjoy it.

I love grilling  - But I do have a few grill rituals that I follow.  My favorite is, no matter what you are grilling, there must be sausage on it.  No matter what else goes on, sausage, keilbasa, brats or some delicious pork prioduct goes on first. I learned this incredible techniqe from my friends, Tim, Ray and Beef, as this is the practice on our Florida golf trips.

We call them "testers."  You "test" the grill to make sure all is well, and of course snack on them as the main course goes on.  Pluse the dog gets some too.  Should be noted, Beef informed me that he and his dog Jack ate an entire packn fn brats last week by themselves! Perfect!

Its kind of a pre-meal snack. And it's outstanding. 

I mean you can't just eat a huge steak without having an brat or two first!


#4

I was so fortunate to be able to load up with the beautiful Windy, and take a short road trip this weekend to see the sold out Garth Brooks concert at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.  Been a long time since I had been to a stadium show, and it felt good.

As Americans we like things that are enormous.  Whether it be our favorite burger, beer size, pickup truck, or concerts.  We like things that are bigger than life sometimes, or at least bigger than they usually are.  That was this show.

It was the largest ticketed event in Pittsburgh history with over 75,000 sold. Think about that, with all those Superbowl titles, and the large appetite that Pittsburghers have for anything black and gold, a country singer from Yukon, Oklahoma now holds that record.

But Garth is much more than that.  His worldwide popularity is also enormous, and all of us were reminded of that this weekend.  As someone who is Garth's age, and been in the format longer than he has, it still astounds me that he, after the radio run, the long semi-retirement and now the touring, his popularity is as big as ever.  Maybe more.   I am proud to say I have played every Garth Brooks song ever released.

Everything about this show was enormous. The stage, the sound, the performance, the gratitude he shows to the fans, and the humility to share his gigantic spotlight of success with his band mates on stage publicly.  In short, our affection for Garth Brooks is enormous.  The only thing not enormous is Garth's ego, and I love that about him.  Always have - always will.  He's authentic, and I love that too.

In short, there may never be a star as loved as Garth Brooks, I am proud is on our format.  Well, well done.

#5

Aladdin is here!

Aladdin 

The list of live action Disney movies continues to grow, and this is the latest installment.  This has caused a ton of buzz, and it's a sure fire hit this weekend. 


Look for a very big number.


Booksmart


This is a hard R rated comedy that chronicles two high school graduates that are tired of being "good girls" and decide to sew of of oats before they head off to college. 

This is extremely adult, and is mature themed in every regard, but the buzz around this is that it is pretty funny.







No comments: