Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Funny Ol' Dog

Life's a funny ol' dog sometimes isn't it? You know, a little strange, awkward, kinda quirky, and many times with a checkered past to go along with it. You've known a dog like that I'm sure. That dog and life go hand in hand.

Today, I met someone with the exact same name (first and last) as someone I have chosen not to think about in years. This person from my perspective "did me wrong" a long time ago. That exact story isn't important for the rest of this blog, but it is ironic. I have always tried to be fair that being "done wrong" can be subjective and most people deserve the benefit of the doubt. I've tried to keep that in mind.

But that's where we take a ninety degree turn. After meeting this person today, it got me thinking about lots of things in my past. The places I've lived, jobs I used to have, some of the people that I worked with and for. Even some of the important players in my personal life that were once woven into the fabric of my life. Things I haven't really thought about in a long time.

The mind is a powerful, and wonderful thing that can give us miracles daily if we let it. On our long journey we have many things, places and people that come in and out of our lives. Sometimes, that can take a little getting used to. And as I looked back, I noticed that practically all of the memories that are still with me, are the good things all of those things, places, and people had to offer.

I think that's the gift of the good. We remember the good- the really good. Probably because the good, was even better than we thought at the time. The good remains, and the not-so-good leaves. Maybe the not-so-good, really wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time either. So it loses and good triumphs in the end. I think that is especially true when a friendship, or a relationship ends for whatever reason not to be repaired. Even though it ended and maybe it was for the best.

Or in other cases when a loved one passes on, and whose life is done too soon. I think we remember all that was good first...and last. Because the other stuff really doesn't seem very important at all. And when we remember all that was good, it makes us happy, and gives us peace that we were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. I felt that way about my dad after he died... and I still do. 31 years later.

Maybe we are given this miracle because we don't want to give the loss yet another voice. It had its say once, and we heard it clearly, whether it was a really large loss or change, or one that was seemingly small. I feel our memory somehow chooses to give the good the last and final say. Then puts it in perfect harmony for us to listen to when we wish.

I found myself driving down I-77 and Memory Lane at the same time today. And on that ride I felt lucky that I had so much to remember, and blessed that almost all of it was recalled fondly.

The same named person years ago hasn't been worth my energy to think about at all over time. And the new person with the same name today gave me plenty to think about all these years later. And with joy!

It reminded me that life is a funny ol' dog sometimes isn't it?

No comments: