Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dogs I've Known

I love dogs. I went through a long stretch in my life where I didn't have a dog, and I don't know how I did it. I have a dog now, an Australian Cattle dog named Kona and she's great. She's a rescue I've had for 7 years. Her first owner abandoned her. They chained her to a backstop in the Metroparks, and the Rangers found her at 3am one night! She's a super sweet pooch with a great manner, and wouldn't hurt a fly. I thought I'd look back at some of the great hounds that I've known over the years, and give them the due they deserve.

Taffy - The first dog I can remember. She was our family pooch, a border collie mix. She lost a leg about halfway through her life, but got around fine with three. In fact, it never really phased her at all..she seemed to wake up one day and say, "Oh gosh, I have three legs....let's go play." And play she did till she was about 15 or so.

Lafayetta - One of Taffy's puppies, I was allowed to keep when I was about 9 years old. I even got to name her. (Stupid name I know.) I got it off a hose nozzle attachment box my mom bought. That was the brand name. Lafayetta didn't care....lived till about 12 or so.

Mariah - She was a lab puppy mix that I got out of the APL in 1982. I chose her because they said she was the next to go, and needed a home TODAY! I moved to Columbus in 1983, and I gave her to my mom. One thing. One February, Mariah fell through the ice one at a pond by accident. My then 70 year old mother saved her by going out in the freezing water to get her, breaking ice the whole way. (50 feet or so) Mariah rewarded her by being great company for her for 15 years, most of it sleeping in front of the fireplace, and staying close.

The Big White Dog - At a drive in movie theater in 1980, a bunch of us went to catch a double feature and grill out in the back row on hibachi's. (We did this all the time) As I headed up to the film house for a bathroom break, a GIGANTIC Great Dane came flying out of a panel truck, and ran right up to me barking the whole time. I was scared to death! Then two "dudes" sitting in lawn chairs yelled, "Cream Puff!!! Get over here!" The dog's name was Cream Puff, and she turned out to be very nice. She went back to the truck, with head down. I went to the men's room. Think it was no longer necessary though.

Wally - Was my friends Don's dog in the late 70's and early 80's. A beautiful black collie. The most laid back dog I've ever seen. One time at a super loud party in Don's basement with about a thousand people there, music blaring, you know the works. Wally decided to take a nap on the basement steps so everyone had to step over him all night. Cracked me up. Still cracks me up all these years later! After all, it was his house!

Bo - My friend Joe's dog still. Black lab. In his younger days, Bo spent many hours in Joe's refrigerator scarfing down leftover cuisine while Joe and Lori were at work. They bought some kind of seat belt contraption to keep Bo out. Bo figured that out too. The dining continued.

K.C. - My brothers dog, some kind of nice mutt. Just passed away. At my brothers wedding in 1992, the reception was at my mom's house. As I woke up the day after, I noticed a spot of frosting on her nose just below the eye. She apparently dined on the entire north wall of the wedding cake while we all slept. Her tongue couldn't reach the spot on her face. Busted!

Dogs are great, and are a huge part of our lives. If you're a dog lover, don't forget to visit our new website petpalsnow.com and leave your story.

And don't forget to support you local animal shelter with either cash, or acts of service.

Remember too, dogs are under strict doctors orders.....eat...sleep....play!

No comments: