Sunday, July 12, 2009

That Just Cracks Me Up!

Laughter is good medicine, even when no medicine is required. It's good for the body, mind and soul. There should be more laughter in the world as a rule, and we'd all feel a bit better. Especially in tough times like now.

One of the really funny things that crack me up, are the things that little kids say sometimes. I know it's cliche' but it's true, kids say the darnedest things. My friend Don and Terri's son Derek when he was young used to crack me up from time to time. Being really interested in sports, when he was about 8 or 9, he would ask me something like this. "Scott, if Randy Johnson was pitching to Babe Ruth at Jacobs Field,..who would win?" Great ask! I have no idea! What cracks me up about that is where did that come from?

Little Al. He's my friend Al and Tammi's little boy. He'll just ask out of the blue, "Scott, why does Victor Martinez wear number 41?" or " Who on the Indians wore number 17 in 2003?" Another great question....Where did that come from? In 2003...Little Al was like 3!

My mom loves to tell the story of me running up to the house when two nuns where coming over to visit when I was about 5 or so. "Mom, there's two Angels coming up the driveway!!" It still cracks her up... and me too...now..Wasn't so funny at 19, when I had a new girlfriend over at Christmas.

Saturday night, we went to Huntington Beach for a walk, and we ran into some real nice people there. There was the real nice family walking along like we were, and one of their 3 little girls all under 7, walked up to me and proudly stated this. "If you're in Michigan, just one more hour and you'll be in Chicago!" Those were the only words she said to me, and that just cracked me up! I had nothin'! What do you say to that? I think I said, "That's good." But it really cracked me up. We laughed about that for a while.

I just wonder where little ones get these funny things to say, and then the gumption to say them. It's funny to hear how their little minds work. Thank goodness there are those among us that aren't worried about the economy, or the news, and just worry that their question or statement gets out there for us to hear and ponder.

Oh, and by the way, turns out that she's pretty close to being right on the Michigan/Chicago thing.

No comments: