Thursday, November 4, 2010

When Good Needs To Be Done

There are times when you see something and at that particular moment, you know you're seeing something special. And when you try to tell others of what you've seen, you realize that although your words may be flattering and be filled with unbridled enthusiasm, they will come up short and the listener must see it for themselves.

I'm afraid that may happen here but I'll give it a go. Today I was lucky enough to get the tour of the new One Of A Kind Pets facility in West Akron. It's right there on West Market Street, 1900 block where the old bowling alley used to be. Long gone are the pins and lanes, and a new era has been ushered in on a piece of property that needed attention. Before I go on and on, I know there are many people and organizations in need as well. But for just this moment, let's let the animals have the light.

In case you don't know, One Of A Kind Pets is a non-profit, no-kill rescue and shelter for dogs and cats in need. This is their new home, and my on air partner on WQMX, Sue Wilson and I will be doing an appearance there Saturday afternoon. We both love, and have rescued our own dogs, so the mission is close to our hearts. But even with that said, this is something worth seeing. This new home is so nice, so inventive, so forward thinking, and such a breath of fresh air it really has to be seen to be truly appreciated, and we are inviting you do do so.

Never have I seen such a serene environment for animals in need. It redefined my view of any other shelter or pound I have ever toured or seen before. If adoption is in your plans, you can meet you new friend in a clean, relaxed setting that shows the animal in his or her truest light. After I visited with a few of the pooches there, I found that my experience was calming both for me, and the dog. Amazing for a home for wayward dogs and cats.....but true.

But more importantly there's this. There are times when you know you are in the presence of good. It is palpable when you are somewhere and all of those involved are bonded by a single, goodheartedness and a belief that they are tending carefully to their little corner of the world. And when the plan comes together and the tools needed ......match the passion heeded, it is a wonderful confluence of good and good....that needs to be seen. People practicing their passion. That is what's in the heart of an animal lover and volunteer, and these are people worth supporting.

I know times are tough for many, and I haven't lost sight of that. But even if animal adoption is not in your future, or the time to volunteer, or even if monetary donations aren't practical for you right now, that is OK. Support can come as easy as just coming out and seeing the work that can be done, and you going out and spreading the word. They can't buy that, but only hope for it.

And you know for me it was more than the place, the day and the fun. It was the fact that it feels good to know....that it's still people that can do good.....when it's good that needs to be done.

No comments: