Monday, June 13, 2011

Sunny Sweeney

I was talking with rising star Sunny Sweeney the other day at the Brad Paisley show. On a beautiful sun splashed, breezy day we talked about how this was a good time to be in Country Music. And it is.

Sunny was getting ready for her performance on the H20 Stage in the Gateway Plaza. I have been a Sunny fan since the first time I heard her first single, From A Table Away, many months ago. I remember I was driving into work to do the show on WQMX at about 3AM. And this fresh country song came rocketing through the night. Traditional in nature, with a thump and a beat, channeling an honest voice resonating a story of love and lust seemingly gone wrong, and for naught. The thing I really remember was how good that song actually sounded on the radio, and in the middle of the night, just added to the drama.

In today's country music, a real hurtin' song, from a young woman. Sounds almost like a novel idea. I'm a fan of hurtin' songs. They are part of the backbone of country music. And at times, it seems like they are not as prevalent as they used to be. There's plenty of, you're too good to be true songs. Tons of I'm over you songs, and soaring vocal ballads a plenty. There's room for all. And we are in the midst of the greatest country era maybe ever. Great balance, with artists ranging from traditional to borderline classic rock to young pop country. There is something for everyone.

Sunny Sweeney has the right idea. From East Texas, she said she grew up listening to two types of music. Country, and ...Country. And that's what she is. It's honest, straight forward and unapologetic. I'll be honest, I love hearing a woman sing a good hurtin' song. And to be more than honest, I love listening to Sunny Sweeney sing a country song. It's no BS stuff. Here I am, here's my story, and this is what it feels like. Her second single, Stayin's Worse Than Leavin', powerful stuff too.

I have listened to her sing in person, and on the radio, and in my stereo. I believe every word she sings, and that is the grand separator for a country singer. We always like the ones that have lived the songs they sing. That goes back to the beginning, and remains today. Happy or sad, we want to believe it. When we do it's powerful, and we relate to it. And in the end you can't fool us. Fans will see right through the glass.

We use the term "cut through" in radio sometimes. Does the sound cut through? Is there something about a certain artist that pops out? When I heard Sunny singing on the air for the first time, it was different. I knew it was someone new, there was a story being told from the gut, over a steel guitar and few barroom guitars. Good stuff.

I believe there is room for many styles in today's country. And I think that in the sum of all works we need a good balance. Her music sounds as good in a BMW as an F-150, an Ipod, or a truck stop jukebox. I believe Sunny Sweeney is good balance, good music, and her message is clear. A fresh new a face with the stuff to contend.

I believe in Sunny Sweeney.

No comments: