Tuesday, July 1, 2008

They Are Watching

Tough to believe that is already the July 4th, but it is. Seems like it got here quick this year. Being a Friday this year is nice in many regards. One, a nice three day weekend, and two a short work week for many. (If you're working this holiday weekend, thanks in advance.)

Fireworks are always a big part of this time of the year. I enjoy going to a show as much as anyone, but as far as buying them and shooting them off, not my thing. I never understood the idea of spending cash on something that gives you about a half second worth of fun. Plus it's just not worth the risk to me.

When I was 22, a great friend of mine was badly burned in a freak camping accident. There was a bunch of us there, it was freaky but nonetheless it happened. Fumes ignited from many feet away and he caught fire. I won't forget it - ever! We put him out, and got him to the help he needed. He was lucky. After a long hospital stay and lots of painful procedures he's fine, unscarred, and I play golf with him every Sunday. He's part of our Dewsweepers Tour. We weren't dumb kids, we were smart. But fire doesn't care who is smart of not. I have not been the same with fire or fireworks ever since. Big time respect.

Ask anyone that knows me, I am not a nervous person by nature. I'm pretty low key. But when I see kids playing with fireworks, it still makes me cringe. I get nervous. So many kids are so badly injured every year from accidents from fireworks and to be honest, I think there shouldn't be any. You gotta be careful with this stuff. You know you only get one set of skin, two thumbs, 10 fingers, two hands, eyes, and ears, and we you gotta value them. One second of a loud blast isn't worth one body part that I am aware of.

Without being offensive I think that we grown-ups have the set the example. Kids want to do what they see us doing. If we're acting a fool, tough to tell them not to. Fireworks are a fickle foe. We generally don't develop a healthy respect for them till we see first hand what they can do. By that time, someone has already paid the price. Same with fire. As a young guy, I used to do stupid things around fire. I wasn't alone, I was wrong and I was fortunate that it never went all wrong. After my friend, I got it. And still do. He paid - I learned. If I didn't, the whole terrible ordeal he went through would have been in vain and that's just flat out unacceptable to me. He's been too great of friend my whole life and thankfully still is, when it could have gone wrong all the way, 23 years ago.

I'm asking you to be safe this holiday weekend. If it helps think of my friend, and how lucky he was and is. Please pay attention this weekend not only to the actions of others, but to your own. Set the tone. Remember, one of the rules for being a youngster is that they watch the grown-ups. And the are watching. Happy Fourth of July!!

No comments: