Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How Did I Not Know?

Funny thing how men and women communicate, or NOT sometimes. I had a funny experience today that is worth repeating here.

We've had a ton of snow of course, and shoveling has been a big deal at all of our houses. On the air with my partner Sue Wilson, we've been joking about shoveling and all that's involved in it. I suggested a few days ago that she go out and buy a "kinky shovel," that's what I call it. You know, the shovel with the kink in the handle so you don't have to bend down as far to clear the drive? Sue had stated she had a sore back from all the shoveling, and I thought this was a great thing for her. It's a great invention. The official term is "ergonomically correct" shovel. But I didn't know that then - but I know it now! I was just horsing around calling it the "kinky shovel." Sue and I have strong communication chemistry and I was under the impression there was no misunderstanding. I was wrong!

Sue has been putting off buying one. I asked why with all the snow, and she said she couldn't find one. I was shocked. She said she couldn't find the brand name "Kinky Shovel." I laughed and said there is no such brand. Sue thought I went all Billy Mays on her and was recommending a certain brand name "Kinky Shovel." You know like this would be the Cadillac of snow shovels. After we shared a good laugh about it on the air and agreed it was all my fault , we had many calls in her support from other frustrated listeners stating they couldn't find the official "Kinky Shovel." I had no idea anyone was looking for one! But I gotta tell you, I'm thinking about calling Billy Mays right now and recommending he start marketing one asap!

Lisetners calling saying they'd gone on extensive Internet searches looking for the fore mentioned shovel with no luck either. Sue even had a colorful line about being shocked as to what popped on the screen after Googling the dreaded words. (not recommended) And here's me...I have no clue. I'm just standing in the drive with my kinked handled shovel clearing the drive.

Ironic here isn't it? Here it is my joke, silly as it was and is, and I'm not in on it. Who would have thought an ergonomically correct shovel could cause such amusement? I guess I should have made myself clearer. And I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. But really, no one on earth is going to say, "Hey Murray, hand me the ergonomically correct shovel will ya?"

Call it what you may.....it's still the kinky shovel.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Scott: I just posted about that very thing, as I heard the three of you banter about it during the first half hour. But I also posted on my blog a photo of a better shovel which would beat the ergonomically correct shovel by a mile. It would also ease your broken auger anxiety.