Monday, January 12, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW - Bride Wars

Okay, give me the bucket, it's time for Bride Wars the new Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson comedy. And I use the word comedy loosely. Sorry, I wish I had better hews here.

Bride Wars is the story of two 26 year old women, one a high powered lawyer, and the other a simple middle school teacher. They have been friends since they were 6, and they both share the same dream. These two grown up, professional, successful women's life long dream number one priority in life is .....to be married to their respective fiance's at the Plaza in New York City. When the wedding planner they hire accidentally books each others wedding at the same time and day, one has to change their date. Neither will, and the "war" is on between two life long friends.

Where to begin? First, anyone on earth believe Kate Hudson as a powerful NYC corperate attorney? I didn't think so. Next, do we need one more movie about how caddy and immature grown women can act? I think not. I am telling you girls, I can feel your pain. This is supposed to be fun, but it's too mean spirited to be fun. It comes off as mean and vindictive, there's no innocence to this mess to make you think it's a joke. And finally, isn't the whole idea of making a comedy to make people laugh? Truth told here. Today not ONE person laughed out loud at this debacle.

Bride Wars just reinforces stereotypes in young women that I think most would as soon forget. I understand totally that this is a parody on the whole wedding industry, but it turns into women killing each other and their friendships in order to get what THEY want. Ruthless, win at all cost, give me what I want because I am me. Me, me me. Good god man, is this the funniest thing Hollywood can come up with?

One memorable scene though. Anne Hathaway's dance at a bachelorette party is very, very funny, and I did laugh. Good for her. Hathaway is a fresh. pretty face who can be both alluring and funny. She clearly carries the freight here. Hudson though is awful, just awful. What has happened to Kate Hudson's decision making. This is three dog movies in a row! The really big trouble with Bride Wars is the writing. You hate both us these characters so much, you can't root for either one. Cheap gags, worse dialogue and zippo originality.

Bride Wars. 14 year old girls, could, should and would find this mess funny. For the rest of us.....pass the bucket.

No comments: