Sunday, August 2, 2009

It Was Only Saturday!

Saturday was my lucky day. It was a day I won't soon forget, and I'm glad. I was lucky enough to be able to help out our community in a great way. I was fortunate enough to be asked to be a volunteer for the great folks at The Cornerstone Methodist Church in the Coventry area for the Community Day Of Action there.

Actually, I wasn't the only lucky one. There were others, many others that played a way more important role than me in the amazingly successful day of giving back to the town. My partner Sue Wilson and I were there helping families who need a little help this year with free school supplies. We were just filling lists along with tons of others. Everyone that we met Saturday was just great. Giving, caring, people that took at least a day and made their neighbors day a little better. Not only could families get supplies, but many, many services absolutely free. All of it free.

The amount of people that came out was truly amazing and humbling at the same time. So many people. And so much generosity from so many people it takes to make an event like this possible and successful at the same time. I haven't been too many places recently where the feeling of community and family were as strong as that wonderful church in Coventry on Saturday afternoon.

Sue and I got to meet many wonderful new people both volunteering and receiving, and we made many new friends. Sue and I host, and work many events around town both for the station and for various charitable organizations, all of them wonderful. But this one was a little different. No one had to pay to get in. Anyone could show up. And they did, by the hundreds. And every service needed was free.

It was an amazing day in every regard. If we met it was great to meet you. It made me thankful and humble at the same time. It also made me thankful that there are great people in this world that still do great things just because. And it made me thankful that I live in a part of the country, and in a community that has this kind of generosity in them, to make it so.

What an amazing day at the Cornerstone Methodist Church in Coventry, where for many a real miracle happened at a time when one was needed.

Hmm...amazing things happen at a church.......And it was only Saturday!

3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Scott great posting.

Kelly said...

Scott - My family belongs to Cornerstone Church and we agree that it is a great place to be! Our Pastor (Brenda Young) is an amazing woman and the people at Cornerstone are loving and inviting. I am writing to invite anyone who wants to come, to please just come in just as you are and you will be welcomed with open arms. Thank you for your kind words, Kelly

C Shultz said...

I moved away a few years ago, but this was my home church. Let everyone know that NOTHING is required of them to attend this church. No one will ever be turned away. Here, you really will find that you're a part of the family...the family of God!