Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wishbone Italian

One of the real fun things about all the social network websites is that you can see what kinds of things people respond to. Some serious of course, but a lot of it is just fun stuff.

For a while now, one of the jokes Sue Wilson and I have had on our show has been the old "I'm eating a sandwich" status update. People do put boring updates like that up, and we laugh at them. But this week I saw an update that made me take notice. A friend of ours statused, "Still cut my sandwiches into 4 pieces...go ahead laugh" OK, this was from an adult. And it made me smile. Then after she got a ton of agreeable comments about this childood memory, it got me thinking. There are those things from when we were kids that stay with us - always.

I have no idea if she had the sandwich epiphany at that very moment, or if she's always known that's how she rolls with her bread, and it doesn't matter. It got me thinking about memories of my own. The really good, and the not that good. A food, a smell, a habit, or a little thing like the 4 slicer sandwich. What has stuck with you all these years.? I came up with a few. All in fun.

The really good? Cinnamon rolls cooking. Even the cheap ones, 8 to a silver tin. Man, takes me all the way back. We didn't always have them, so it was a treat. To this day when I get a whiff I'm on on a mission. Gang way, and heads up! I will NOT be denied. They're going down... to my stomach. You want some? Go to the store and buy some more.

Raisin bread toast. Raisin bread is only good for one thing. Toast. Can't imagine making a sandwich out of it, no matter how many slices you cut it into. Bologna on raisin bread? I'm guessing not.

Feet tucked tight in the bottom of the bed. Yep, I'm a tight feet - bed guy. Love the feel of my feet jammed in there tight, just like when I was a kid. I know it's not everyones favorite, and I can sleep in a floppy feet bed.....but I prefer the tight sheet - feet thing.

Those are the good. Now for the one that's not as good.

Wishbone Italian Salad Dressing. Haven't eaten it in 30 years. When I was a kid, we only had one kind of salad at the house. Iceberg lettuce in a bowl, maybe a slice of tomato or two and Wishbone Italian. It wasn't until I started dating a girl named Sherri when I was 18, that I even knew that there was another kind of dressing! I'd go over there for dinner, and there was about 7 kinds on the table. I couldn't believe my eyes. Thousand Island, Blue Cheese, French, Hidden Valley Ranch? C'mon!!!!!!!!! Are you serious???? I was so excited I think I may have drunk from the bottle a time or two!

I may have even shoveled in a few ladles of Marzettis creamy cucumber straight from the wide mouthed jar into my wider mouth even before the salad showed up. And the salad? They were huge...piled high with bushel baskets of veggies, complete with romaine lettuce and.....cheese.....bacon bits.......and even those crunchy things you shake out of the shaker that no one knows the name of! I have kept my passion for salads and for creamy dressings And I sadly, have forever forgone the Wishbone Italian.

I have nothing against the Wishbone people per say. Probably a very nice family. But I'm afraid I am scarred for life. I simply bypass the Wishbone section and head off to greener salad pastures and graze in the Kens Steakhouse, or Marzettis, or Stancatos aisle ...and always creamy. I also hate to lump in all Wishbone into one category, but I have to. It's a shame, they could be 10 for a dollar, and I still would be out!

So let's all take a trip back and remember the days of cinnamon rolls, tucked in feet and 4 slicer sandwiches. Being a kid was pretty good, and we should take all the good with us. And slice those sandwiches up with pride, or cut off the crust or whatever you did or still do. And pass it on to the next generation.

Just hold the Wishbone Italian!

No comments: