Thursday, August 8, 2019

week 16

#1
I am someone that likes all kinds of music.  Yes, I have made a living on Country Radio, but most of the people in my industry, we like a many different styles.   Last week, I went to the Doobie Brothers concert at Blossom and I  was reminded on one of my favorite songs of all time!  China Grove - By the Doobies.


I call that song, and others like it a "Drive Around The Block Song."  Meaning, if it comes on the radio and I am almost home, I drive around the block to hear it.   It may have the greatest guitar riff ever, and I think its a great example of American Rock music. Powerful, to the point, driven, honest, and almost infectious.

I have other "Drive Around The Block Songs"  too..


Startin' With Me  - Jake Owen
Up Down  - Morgan Wallen
After The Lovin' - Englebert Humperdink
Baker Street  - Gerry Rafferty
Small Town USA -  Justin Moore
Still Doin' Time  - George Jones

And the list goes on and is probably too long to list.

Yours?


#2

Last week when the Browns played their first preseason game, my favorite moment was when  Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi, a guy that walked on to the Browns camp uninvited ran a punt back for a TD.  What a terrific underdog story. The entire Browns team ran after him and mobbed him with excitement.  That shows me the team is on the right track.  Football can be unique that way.

I saw, and believe still, that in life and business, you play for the guys next to you, and hopefully you are around people of the same ilk.  If your skill set in life, and on the job is such that it elevates those around you, then you are in the right place, with the right people.  I have been lucky in much of my career to be around such.  And in my personal life off the job as well   -   now more than ever.  

That doesn't mean you put yourself in the backseat, to the contrary. A job and life is a team sport, and if your gifts make others around you better, than everyone wins.  It's just that simple.  Those who choose to not reflect that many times end up isolated and in the long run, not as successful as they think they are.  Life is a long journey, and it's better with team mates that like you, respect you and are glad you are around to raise them up, as they do you.

#3

I've been around this radio stuff for a long time, worked in many places around the country and have been a part of a lot of good radio promotions.  But I have to say, that the WQMX Send Me Backstage T-shirts are about the best I've ever seen.

We have been doing this a long time, and it seems to get better and better.  It's great to see all the colors of all the years at all the concerts we do. And it's great too to see them all over social media.

You can wear it anytime.  In fact, taking pics of you in your shirt and posting them here would be really fun.

Long live the WQMX Send Me Backstage T-shirt!


#4

Just in case you have never gone to this place, here's some information so you may.  Maria's Field of Hope in Avon is a fantastic place to see, visit, take pictures, and simply reflect.

Windy introduced me to the idea of going last year, as I had never heard of it.  It's in an area that I know well, and one she doesn't.  We made the trek together on a beautiful and special day and took pics, and just took it all in.

When you learn about it, and how it came to be, you are even more impressed.  Make it a part of a trip there and incorporate with another venture.  There is plenty of shopping nearby including Crocker Park, food too, and antiquing. You can't spend hours there, but one would be a very nice visit.

#5

It's hard not to get caught up in what's going on with the Tribe right now. Erasing a 12 game defecit in he Major Leagues is pretty much unheard of, but they have done it.  

I know the Browns are the flavor of the month, but they don't play fore about a month, and being more than fair, have not won anything yet.  I understand fans are excited for the Browns, and should be.  But the Tribe is a three straight time divisional winner, and on verge of a fourth.  We will have our time to be all Brownie, but right now it's time to cheer on the Indians.

There seems to a a magic around the Tribe right now, and it's starting to look like they may be one of the real elite teams. Go to a game.  It's not as expensive as you may think, and you'll be part of something special -  and you can get tickets!

Go Tribe! 

No comments: