Monday, August 19, 2019

Week #17

#1

For the first time in a long time, I was lucky enough to go to the Cleveland Natural History Museum.  I was there for wonderful dinner occasion, and it was sensational.

Cool place, and the food was great.  Plus, how often do you get to eat dinner with a Tyrannosaurus Rex?   And we got to see Balto!  The REAL Balto, although stuffed, but the one of the most famous dogs called and calls Cleveland home.

 As we walked around I was reminded how cool that entire place is.  In fact, that entire area has been so revitalized it really needs to be seen.

That whole University Circle area is wonderful, and it's not far from Little Italy - Yum!

This fall head on up there. Lots to do. Fun!


#2

I have always said that no one tells the truth about flossing their teeth when the dentist asks.  You always say yes, they know you're lying, and they dig out the tarter and plaque.

Flossing also tastes like you're at dentist and no one likes that.  If you're a dentist, or hygienist sorry, but no one wants to be there.  It's not you, it's the act.  Flossing stinks, it's no fun, and it's time consuming, so here's the next million dollar idea

Now, if I could floss my teeth with bacon I would, if it would hold together.  But sadly it won't.  Bacon flavored floss.  I'm flossing every day, twice a day -  and at the breakfast table when I'm eating a fat omelette!

Solves many problems.  Flossing, the taste, the lying and better dental hygiene.   Perfect!!

#3

Tuesday was National Radio Day.  I have been doing this for 38 years, and this seems like a good time to pull the curtain back on this profession a bit.  Many people ask me what I call my job.  I don't like DJ, or Disc Jockey.  That is a very different and great skill set, that I don't have, that is very different than what I do. 

There are other names, but Morning Personality, or Morning Show Host is better.  But what I really am is a Storyteller.  I hopefully tell one every time I open the mic.  Some are not as compelling as others.  Some things must be said.  But in the content we do on Scott And Sarah to hopefully entertain, we tell stories.  Putting a person (you) in a place (here) , at a time (now), for a good reason.  Once I learned that as a young broadcaster, after a few years of not knowing that, things fell into place.

I learned this from a legendary morning guy named Dick Zipf (Ziff).  When I was 23 doing mornings at WRMZ in Columbus, he was on our AM station WMNI.  He taught me to story tell.  And he also introduced me something I am equally and forever thankful for.  That there are different and more colorful ways to say the ordinary.  Using different and inventive phrases and words.  And finding the angle that no one else will in everything you say on air.  Those two things have served me well.  And I am eternally thankful to him.

Years later one of my bosses, Nick Anthony, here at WQMX  reminded me through our continued friendship, that storytelling is compelling, as he is a great story teller.  And he also is a great example of using words to start a story or conversation and not end one. Constant and definite facts that are spoken at someone, is not inviting.  Questions requested and answered with someone is, as the story can go on with an equal exchange of views.  The only way to learn anything is to listen, and the most compelling conversations spawn from asking questions, and listening to the answer.  Nick always reminds me of this in our talks. I am grateful again.

The Beautiful Windy laughs with me for always asking questions in our personal life. But each one asked and answered helps me tell a new story somewhere up the road.

More tomorrow as I want to mention some other great people from this wonderful business - Radio.


#4

With National Radio Day this week, we have been chatting about the essence of the biz.  I refer to what I do as storytelling, and it is.  But few are born natural storytellers, and for those who are granted the gift of gab, there are always those who help you propel you to another level.

Again, when I was a young broadcaster in Columbus in the early and mid-eighties, I ran across some very important people in my career.  Everything happens fast when your young, and as I look back there was a lot to absorb.  I had a Program Director named Rob Ryan.  He worked with me daily and prodded me to story tell more confidently, and to hold conversations with the listeners on the phone. He taught me to listen to their story first, respect it, and then meld it with mine.  Phone skills for radio - gold! Priceless counseling.

And my great friend of 36 years in this biz, Vic Scott (aka Smokey Rivers now).  He taught me that while story telling, its OK to have a definite take on a subject during a conversation.  But to make sure to be quick to listen and slow to speak is a good thing.  He also showed me how to make a strong point, but not to alienate those who may differ at that moment. That learning how to disagree is vital to telling a story sometimes.  Great lesson.  Great pro, great friend.

I am learning along the way the art of storytelling goes hand in hand with listening to others stories first to be the most effective.  Tomorrow I will share a few more quick stories and thank others.


#5

Angel Has Fallen

This series rolls on, for whatever reason. But here we go again.  Our favorite Secret Service agent played by Girard Butler is again trying to protect the President!  But this time, he's the one in trouble. Buy why?   Guess we have go and see.


They can stop making these anytime now.  This series is simply not good.


My Spy

This comedy seems to have a formula that will work with families if done well.  A little kid hanging out with a Secret Agent.  The opposite formula, it's been around for years and can still work if handled right.


This could go either way. Very fun, or very not.






No comments: