Saturday, March 22, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW - Shutter

The new rage in Hollywood this Spring are these imported stories from other countries, each stating they will show us in the U.S. what is really scary. The latest of these is Shutter.

Shutter is the story of a Ben and Jane. A young newlywed couple, who move to Tokyo on their honeymoon. Ben is a photographer who lands a big job there. The couple shorty thereafter become haunted by the spirit of an ex-lover of Ben's, who shows up in shadowy forms on his work photos, and the photo's of Jane's. The spirit is angry, somehow develops great strength and sets out to kill Ben and his co-workers whom she also has issues.

Remember The Grudge? Or maybe The Blair Witch Project? Remember how scary these movies were supposed to be and weren't? Same deal here. Shutter is NOT scary, and IS predictable. My gosh can't we do better than this to be scary at the movies? It is packed full of things popping out about every 5 minutes. Oh, and don't forget the loud noises, overacted screaming, and horrified looks on the actors faces. Question here too - Doesn't anyone ever turn a light on anymore? Seems to me if I was being haunted and knew it, I would turn on a light at 3AM when I thought something was in the house and trying to KILL me. Insulting!

If you're looking for a good scare at the flicks, you'll be let down here. One positive in Shutter? It is filmed primarily in Tokyo, and you get to see a lot of what one of the worlds biggest cities is like. It's more of Tokyo than I've ever seen and I rather enjoyed that.

Shutter limps out of the gate, gets draggy, and then crawls home a tired, exhausted mess. A rental in 3 months when all the good movies are already rented.

1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Scott: This must be fun, getting paid to go to the movies. You do have to go to some bad ones. I would like to go to the ones I like.
Tom from Kent