Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's Just Too Bad

The only people going to Geauga Lake Amusement park this summer are there the next two days to spend a lot of money. They are not going to ride the rides, play the games, or even eat the food. They are going to bid on history and try to take home some of the left over rides, and goodies the once proud park made famous. The final auction of Geauga Lake begins today.

I know I sound a little romantic to some, but it's sad when a place closes for good that once brought so many so much. Schools, amusement parks, stadiums, city parks, and even old theaters and vintage restaurants fit into this category. Geauga Lake was built specifically for us to go and have fun. That's it! How can it not be sad when bulldozers start rolling?

When the doors are finally shut, there is an emptiness and I think we all feel like we failed in some way. For most of us we won't toss and turn at night and cry ourselves to sleep over it. Let's not go overboard. But I think it's natural to wonder when did things change? People went to Geauga Lake for 100 years and really had fun, when exactly did the fun stop? Did the park change, or did we change? I'm guessing we did.

I readily admit I grew up a Cedar Point man. But I went to Geauga Lake many times. I rode the Big Dipper, and the merry go round too. I rode the Double Loop the first year it opened. I reluctantly rode the cable cars with my feet dangling out the bottom, I got sweaty palms on the huge Ferris wheel. And the thrill of thrills, I even had my picture taken with Geauga Dog all those years ago. I enjoyed the fine cuisine a number of times in my amusement park career as well. Plus, I did what you did too. I used to look across the lake and feel lucky that I was riding the rides and not watching whales do tricks. No offense to Sea World when it was open there, but at 15 years old? I'm riding rides.

The next two days they will auction off piece by piece what is left of Geauga Lake Park, and I'm sad. What was once so much fun for so many, will be no more. I guess we should all be thankful Geauga Lake was open as long as it was, and that it was a part of our community for many generations. We'll always have the memories.

You know in all those years I never saw Geauga Dog cry, but I'm guessing he is today. God Bless you Geauga Lake and thank you. It was great!

No comments: