Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fears

With Halloween here, we're all thinking about what scares us and what gives a jolt. That was the topic my partner Sue was asking this morning on our show. And it really opened up a fun, and maybe not so fun can of the proverbial worms.

Sue started us off. She is not thrilled with flying but she does, she had other powerful fears that resonated with strongly with me as I intently listened. Then the listeners chimed in, flying, heights, spiders, snakes, you know the basics that make any list. But as I thought more about it... the stuff that really scares me? I have to admit I'm not really afraid of much, the fear of "things" really isn't in my DNA. But that doesn't mean I don't have any. It took a big breath to think of them, and a bit more to admit them to myself, and then even more to muster up the courage to share them over the air. I guess that in itself was a fear.

I guess the one that rings the strongest with me is the fear of.....being forgotten. I know it's a strange one. But it does scare me when I take the time to think about it. I don't have any children and I often wonder after my time is up, whenever that is, (I'm hoping for later rather than sooner on that one) who will remember that I was here? I think it's normal to think of ones legacy. What will you one day leave behind that's not spendable? Hopefully we all make a contribution that leaves this world a little better than when we found it. Kids are great at keeping that going for you. I think it's important to keep my fathers legacy alive, I feel that obligation and I'm proud to do it. It's a labor of love for me.

Maybe too, it's not being forgotten after were gone, but what about when we're still here. I have been blessed with many long term great friendships in my adult life. But we all have those that have woven in and out of our lives. Ones that you were once really close to, but for whatever reason, it's no longer. People you worked with, or dated, or were friends with. I have some of all of the above in cities I lived in, and you wonder if you really made an impact on them. My hope is yes! Because they have all made an impact on me, and made me who I am today...for the good and the not so good. Maybe I'm the exception, but I have powerful memories of the people that rolled in and out of my life in years past, and they all ....are remembered here....not forgotten.

I think we would all like to be viewed as "impact players" in others lives. I would like to know that some of the things that I have said and done in my life so far, has had an impact on others. It's something that they will take with them as they move on in their journey, as I have moved on in mine. We all deserve more than just having been here...we deserve having BEEN here!

I learned something today in 15 minutes that I didn't learn in the first 47 years here. Maybe that fear is some of my motivation to put my heart and soul that I have into the ones that are really worth it. I like to think that I'm a good guy to have around sometimes. And I do sleep well every night knowing that I gave those close to me my best that day. I just never really thought about where it may come from. Maybe in the long run, if you give your best to the important players in your life every day, it may really not be worth fearing at all.

No comments: