Monday, October 20, 2008

Smiles All Around!

With all that's been going on in the world lately that you may be feeling like me to a degree. The economy has been tough to swallow, I think we've all been burned out on the election thing, being bombarded with negative messages and all. If you're not careful these days, it can really sneak up on you and affect you more than you would think.

So today it back to basics, and all it took was a smile. True enough - a smile. I was hanging with a bunch of really nice people today at work and it sort of dawned on me, how good it is to be around smiling people? Some of us were just talking and sharing thoughts, and there were smiles all the way around.

A smile in it's literal form, is just a tooth show I guess. But in it's projection to the world, it's an acceptance thing. It says, "Hey I'm glad I'm with you right now." or "I'm enjoying your company today." And that just makes me feel pretty good. And even though today a dollar doesn't go as far, a smile today goes further than ever before, and the demand is high right now. Hope the supply can keep up.

I have read that the smile is the first thing that people really notice about another person on first impression, and that for me is so true. I think it's because it's more than just a smile. It's someones true light. A bright smile softens the face, calms the mind, and illuminates the eyes for all the world to see. And the really powerful thing about it is, it has the same effect on both the person doing the smiling and the person on the receiving end. We are all at our best when we smile and smile often.

I have always been a little self conscious about my own smile, in my eyes it's not the big bright smile that I see in others around me, but I give it my best. My friends today gave me a really great gift of theirs, and that is the best part of the whole thing. Making someones day a little better... with a smile. Today I was smiling big too...Gosh, I hope I returned the favor.

No comments: