Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Academy Awards Preview

Sunday Hugh Jackman hosts the 81st Annual Academy Awards show on ABC Television. This years Oscars again are really featuring movies and performances that by and large are not mainstream movies, as has become the trend the past few years.

Many of the years really well reviewed movies were shunned, or given very little love by the Academy this year. Example being, Gran Torino, Changeling, and Batman and there were others. Movies like Milk, Doubt, and The Reader shown much love, although not a lot at the box office. But there were nods given to some big movies as well, Slumdog Millionaire, Benjamin Button and a few others.

What I'll do here is give you three winners from each of the five main categories. Film, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress. I'll give you my pick from the nominees, plus my pick from all movies that may not be included in the Oscars, then I'll give you the pick I think the Academy will pick. So here we go.

Actor
My pick from nominees
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon - He was terrific, so much dialogue, totally into character.
My pick from all movies
Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino - At 78 he mesmerises audiences more that ever.
Predicted Oscar pick
Sean Penn - Milk - Hollywood loves him and his performances.

Actress
My pick from nominees
Angelina Jolie - Changeling - Not a big fan of hers, but she was terrific here. Really great!
My pick from all movies
Angelina Jolie - Changeling - Simply the best performance of the year for actresses.
Predicted Oscar Pick
Kate Winslet - The Reader - Heartbreak in years past melt away this year. She's due.

Supporting Actor
My pick from nominees
Heath Ledger - Batman - Forget the hype, he was great.
My pick from all movies
Heath Ledger - Batman - He made a good movie really good.
Predicted Oscar pick
Heath Ledger - Batman - He wins, going away. Landslide

Supporting Actress
My pick from nominees
Amy Adams - Doubt - She was a very big part of this movie being successful. Loved her.
My pick from all movies
Marissa Tomei - The Wrestler - Raw, nitty, gritty, and very daring. Very brave.
Predicted Oscar pick
Marissa Tomei - The Wrestler - I think this movie is going to win something, she is it.

Best Picture
My pick from the nominees
Frost/Nixon - Ronnie Howard directed. Tough story to tell. Performances great.
My pic from all movies
Changeling - Clint Eastwood directed. Should have been nominated. Fantastic.
Predicted Oscar pick
Slumdog Millionaire - Has won everything else. Fine movie, I feel a bit overrated.

What do you think? E- mail me your picks and thoughts @ scott@wqmx.com

You can see all my movie news and reviews now
http://www.akronnewsnow.com/entertainment_movies_expand.asp

No comments: