Friday, February 27, 2009

Leg Lickin' Good!

It's no real secret that I am a big food fan. I like to eat and cook good food. It's a passion of mine and is very therapeutic for me. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I even had the cable company run a wire for a TV on the refrigerator. That way I can get my fill of Dr. Phil, Seinfeld, news, or sports while I cook.

I think that people that are passionate in life are passionate about food. I'm proud of the fact that I am a self taught cook and a good eater. I'll try to cook and eat most anything once, and there is very little I don't like.

I am also an act of service guy. I would like to think words like care and love are verbs and require action to really be put into motion. For me, cooking and serving is one of the ways I show as much. But as much as I enjoy all of the above, I know someone whose got me beat.

My dog Kona! She is 9 years old, and about 50 pounds. On my vets advice, she eats one bowl of food a day in the morning, and gets all the water she wants. The passion she shows for that food that I simply pour into that bowl is something that I have never seen. I can cook a meal for an hour in the kitchen for family and friends, and it never plays to the same reviews that Kona gives on her meal that is simply decanted out of the bag.

When Kona's done savoring her half crunchy, half chewy food with water at her usual bowl with a nice window view, you can see the contentment on her face. She even licks her legs and chest for the next few minutes to savor every last drop of the succulent dish that may have splashed on her. Just one last taste of the delectable on-sale dog food that's been stored in the plastic container on wheels. Keep in mind, it's the same swill every day for her. Not like us, a different menu every night. She just loves to eat... and good for her!

I don't generally make it a practice to splash my dinner in my lap daily. Doesn't bother Kona. I also don't eat my dinner in about 60 seconds. There again, Kona's good with that. She loves dinner so much, she even eats it standing up. Not me! Have you ever licked the plate clean for a minute after the food is gone? She does! Dogs are so passionate about food that they just stick that muzzle right down in the bowl and go to town! Now I gotta admit, I've toyed with that idea a Thanksgiving or two when the turkey and stuffing was just begging to be eaten, but I never followed through. I got no game.

As great as some of the food I've eaten in my life has been, I can't say it's ever been leg lickin' good. Finger lickin' good? Yes....Leg lickin' good? ....No. But Kona can.

That's the way Kona rolls.

Check out all my blogs anytime
http://www.akronnewsnow.com/blogs/scottwynnswindow/

No comments: