Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Thrill Of The Grill!

Good news, the sun is out big-time today, and even tough it's a bit cold it's still a very nice afternoon. Weather like this always reminds me that warm weather indeed is on the way, and so is the much anticipated - Grilling Season. I love grilling season!

Last year I bought a gigantic gas grill. I took my stimulus check and plopped it down on seven burners of fun. Truth be told, I probably spent more time with that grill last summer than any one person. I was grilling for lunch, snacks, dinner, it was borderline out-of-hand. I've had a good off-season I think. Bought a freezer full of meat, been practicing my technique, you know normal off-season stuff that everyone does in preparation for the 2009 regular season this Spring.

I've decided to up my game this year and practice my staring at the food on the grill with my buddies. And I've also really worked on my discussions with my buddies, on how good the meats' gonna be when it's done.. while were staring at it on the grill. That was the weakest part of my game last year. Went to Florida to work on that with my friends in February.

My mind got going today after my friend Charlie came to the house to measure a new section of the patio I'm contemplating. He hadn't seen my grill yet, and I made him. (It's mandatory when you come to the house, just humor me will ya?) We were in total agreement that it was a dandy grill - Charlie pontificated, "Now that's a grill. Big, and easy to get to, because I'm not pan fryin' a steak. I don't care if it's -1o below zero outside!" I decided right then and there, Charlie is the smartest man on earth.

I do have a George Foreman Grill, and it's just fine for small jobs, but it's not the big daddy that sits outside yearning to be used. You can't cook a bunch of great steaks on a Foreman with a London Broil tester (appetizer) at the same time like I do with the big grill.

I've been saying on the air for weeks optimistically, (under much ridicule) that the worst of the weather is over and the warm is on the way. And I still believe it. Baseball, bicycles, burgers, and brats are just days away.

Get ready to come on over the the house, opening day of the grilling season......is almost here! I just have to find someone to come over to give the invocation, and sing the national anthem.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Yeah, it seems to me that I did hear you say on the air that the worst of this winter would be over by January 15. You just didn't specify what year.

But there is something special about a man and his grill.