Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Small Town USA

There is a great song out right now we're playing on WQMX. It's by a new artist that we've had the pleasure of meeting and working with a time or two, his name is Justin Moore. The song is called Small Town USA. I love this song. And there are a ton of reasons why.

First, it's real country. Second, it has a catchy tune that's easy to remember as all great songs do. But the real reason I love it, it's sung by a guy who lives it. I believe every word that Justin sings in this soon-to-be number one song on the country charts. That's a big deal with me. I've been playing country music on the radio for about a thousand years and the songs I really love, I really believe.

That song speaks to the small town in all of us I think. I have recently had the honor, (and I do mean honor) of working some really great small town events recently. And even though all concerts, appearances and roadshows are fun, there's something about a small town gathering that's a little different. My mom taught me that after I was an adult. I moved away for many years, and would lways come home for vacation. We'd go to a small parade in my hometown of Berea, and she would say, "There's nothing like a small town gathering!" She's mom - she's right.

At both the Wayne County, and Portage County fairs this summer, I met so many great people it's hard to keep track of them all. The wonderful people that run these ventures are just salt-of-the-earth people that you feel a real connection to as soon as you meet them. There's something about their handshake, and the sincerity of their smiles, that make you feel at ease the second you meet them. And the fans and listeners too. The feeling is palpable all around you when one of their favorite Country Stars come to town to perform. Ala Diamond Rio, James Otto, Billy Currington, or Bucky Covington. You can feel the appreciation before the first note is sung. It's just different in a small town.

Sue and I also felt that a month or two ago when we worked the community day at the Cornerstone Methodist Church. It may not be as small in that neighborhood as Wooster, or Randolph, but the feeling was the same. Sue and I have talked about it many times since that wonderful day. The feeling there was just a bit different.

Don't get me wrong, there isn't one thing wrong with any event, anywhere. The concerts at Blossom or The Q are bigger no doubt, and everyone is great. But I think even big places like to try to capture the small town feel. You seldom hear someone say, "You know, we really want this to feel like a big, major, sweaty city." It's almost always the other way. The small town feel.

To all of the wonderful people we've met in the past few months, especially in the small towns, we say thanks! Thanks for reminding us that even though we all may not live in a small town, your welcoming, and songs like Justin Moore's make us think of our own small towns. After all, most all or us are from someplace smaller than where we eventually end up.

And for those who stay in the small town from cradle to grave, there's a part of everyone of us that wishes we had too. Even if it's just a small part.

"I'll be right here, in Small Town USA" - Justin Moore.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

And also don't forget you were at the Rittman Sleepwalkers parade in July. Small town festival at it's best.

I wrote a post with the same title yesterday that had nothing to do with the song.