Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Dog In The Sun

A day or two ago it was so nice outside, my dog Kona came to me and asked me if I would put her outside on the chain for a while. From there, she can go down the four, huge sandstone steps that come down from the roof covered porch attached to our old house. There in the side yard, there is a good mixture of sun and shade from an old sugar maple tree in the summer. But this of course is not summer and that old tree isn't in bloom yet.

Kona went right for the grass in the sun. And in about one second, plopped herself on her side, let out a huge sigh, and proceeded to soak up the well overdue sunshine. I'm sure it felt good on her brown Australian Cattle dog fur. She was done for the afternoon. For a few hours she just lay there, left side, right side..wow. She was so sacked out at one point, I went out to make sure sure she was still breathing. She was and a tad bit annoyed I woke her up. But that didn't last long. She looked so comfortable, I actually texted a friend or two let them know of her bliss.

Kona saw the sun, felt the warm and went with it. Then after a few hours, she asked to come in - permission granted... then she came in tail wagging, and licked my face a bit. And I thought...you know, that's all she has to give. I think she had a good day.

There is a lot to learn from a good pooch. They travel light, and gladly take what is given to them. And in return, they give all they have. Kona doesn't complain when I change her food, move her bed, ask her to go outside in the cold and snow with us when we shovel the drive. She just wants to be where I am. Tail wagging the whole time. She laying under my desk right now as I write this blog. That can't be the most comfy place in the house.

But upon further review....maybe for her it is. After all it's where I am right now...and maybe that's just fine with her. Another lesson learned. Truth is, dogs have great perspective. They know you, like you, and reward you..just for being....you! They are eternally thankful for what they have. And who else among us, can honestly say they give all they have to give every single day. Dogs can be life's great reminders sometimes.

Simple lessons that could have greatly benefited folks like Tiger Woods, Jesse James and a wide array of assorted unappreciative so - and - so's that decided that having millions and being married to Swedish models and beautiful Oscar winning actresses, wasn't enough. We read about these kind of people every day, both famous and the not so famous. Actually, dog lessons are a good thing for the rest of us to keep in mind too.

Who would have thought, so much to take note of....from.....a dog in the sun!

No comments: