Sunday, March 28, 2010

An Easter Story

Easter is on the way again. It always stirs a bit in me for various reasons, as it does for you. I moved back to Northeast Ohio in 2001, after moving around the country alone for 20 years. I am not complaining, just stating that I spent two decades of Easters away from where I called home and spent it with many great friends and their families in various cities I lived in. And I am so thankful for them.


When I thinking back to those days I am always taken to the most memorable Easter I spent away. Easter 1992, which I spent alone. And there in lies the trouble at the time. I was living and working in Jefferson City, Missouri at a really great radio station, KLIK. I was doing the morning show there, and having great success. - At work. I had been there for about 4 years, and seemingly was a popular guy in the state capital. But all was not good.


In those days I had a worthy adversary. - Me. I was tired of living there. I was tired of thinking that others had a better life than me. I was spending way too much time alone, and I was weary of feeling I didn't have anyone to really talk about it with , or that there was anyone that really wanted to listen to it. All of this junk had been going on too long. Funny it's all a blur now, but it was more than vivid then.


As luck would have it two things happened that really changed things. I met Dr. John. A really great counselor that gave me time, a comfy chair, and a suggestion there was a different way of looking at things. And secondly, Easter. Easter morning 1992 I woke up and decided to take my broken heart, my battered pride, and my wounded soul out to enjoy a nice holiday. I drove to a really nice place called Tan- Tara Resort at the Lake Of The Ozarks for a brunch. It was a nice 50 mile drive on a beautiful day. I didn't know it was a journey that would build the bridge over the wide cravasse, and connect the hurting parts of me.


I asked for the best table they had that overlooked the lake and marina. A bought a paper a Bloody Mary or two, and ordered the fantastic brunch. I sat there for hours, watching the families come and go. Feeling the awesome power of a communal activity on a spiritual day. I watched almost all day the sun glisten off the beautiful lake. Boats coming and going, read the paper front to back. I spoke to a few people that day, but what really happened, the day spoke to me. Easter, synonamous with miracles.


I drove home that day with the sun off the lake in my heart, and the weight of many proceeding days off my shoulders. It was not a cure. But it was a turning point, like Easter itself. That day, thinking enough of myself to venture out on a journey of solitude on the perfect day to do so. I came face to face with my enemy - being alone. Stared it down over the sun filled lake and found peace withhout even knowing I was looking for it. And the irony played out right in front of my eyes. The watershed moment of beating being lonely, was......being alone...on that day...in that place. for it was Easter. It was a tiny miracle... but it was mine.


Shortly after Easter that year, good things started to happen for me personally and professionally. I moved to Florida, where there are plenty of lakes for the sun to shine on. And waves of great people started pouring into my life, and that continues today. In fact today, the best people that I can imagine are in my life from sun up to sundown.


I don't talk about it much but I am a spiritual guy. I believe in the power of something bigger than myself. For me, spirituality is "a search." Always searching for a new answer to a list of endless questions. Dr. John taught me something about myself I didn't know at the time. I was a curious person. He has turned out to be right.


But to be honest I had no idea some of my answers would become so crystal clear to me over a sun swept lake, on a faith filled Sunday. Forever grateful....for Easter.

No comments: