Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You're Kidding....Right?

I noticed that we all are using this phrase a bit more lately. You're kidding...right? Most of it has to do with how much things cost or things that we have to pay for now, that we didn't before.

The other day I was punching through the TV channels and I came across the national news. They were running a story about an airline that has decided to start charging for food on it's flights. I don't know about you, but it's a cold day in......(down deep) before I pay to eat airline food. No offense to the air carriers, but they fly planes. And they do it well .....and safely. Food....I'm not so sure about.

I have thought for years that they should just get out of the food business. I can go a few hours without a thimble sized sandwich, a bag of carrots, and a Three Musketeers bar that's so small, you only get two of the Musketeers. But it did get me thinking how different things have become in our lives, especially in this tough economic climate lately. How we pay for things mom and dad could not have ever imagined. Like this:

1/ Air - Are you kidding me? True. You go to the convenient store and have to toss in some
coin to fill up the tires. Nothing real convenient about that. Never thought this day
would come.

2/ Water - Yep. I think we all grew up drinking out of a garden hose in the summer. But now,
many can't drink any water unless it's out of a bottle. Saw this once, if you do
the math a bottle of water turns into like 15 dollars a gallon. Gasoline is
cheaper.....just don't get them mixed up!

3/ More water - Does it strike anyone else that we live a few miles from the LARGEST
BODIES OF FRESH WATER ON THE PLANET, and it's as pricey as it is.
Sheesh!

4/ Emergency Rows - On a flight now, many are charging for sitting in these rows where you
have added responsibilities. Pay more....for helping them out if they
need it. I thinking an actual discount is in order.

5/ TV - Almost everyone in the world now pays to watch TV. Somehow, over 5o years they
slowly got all of us to chip in to turn on. I know there's a thousand channels now, and
it's digital now...yea, yea....but at one time it was all free.

6/ Radio - Satellite radio? Are you Serious? Actually they are. (Another cold day down deep)

7/ Decaf coffee - Way more expensive than regular coffee. Honestly, there is one LESS
thing in decaf java, as apposed to regular Joe. So obviously caffeine is free.
Who knew!

It's fun to point out the above, but in the end, I guess we have ourselves to blame. For some reason we pay it and move on.

On a final and positive note, I haven't seen a pay toilet in years!! Who the heck came up with that idea anyway? Could be that was an idea that was tried, flied and died. Thank goodness! I mean come on......give us something will ya? We should celebrate this small victory.

I know there are tons more, and may you know some. If you do, drop me an e-mail (it's free) scott@wqmx.com.

No comments: