Saturday, August 28, 2010

Brooks And Dunn

This coming Thursday in Nashville, Brooks And Dunn will perform their last concert together. That night should be special for so many reasons. Right up front. I will miss them.

Last Thursday they performed a fantastic show at Blossom. After it only 3 remain. My partner Sue Wilson and I were lucky enough to visit with them backstage in a very quiet setting with only a select few others. It was really nice. As they walked out to greet, and visit with us, there was a wide variety of mixed emotions. Some sad, some happy. When they approached and we shook hands, the only thing that I could really say to them was, "Thank you. Thanks for 20 years of making my job a bit easier."

I thought a lot about what I wanted to say, because this was it! History right there. Say it now, or it's lost forever. From my vantage point it was just natural. I have been fortunate enough to be in country music now for 30 years on the radio, and have played every single Brooks And Dunn hit ever. They were a part of the fabric of country music for 2 decades. And maybe at times, it was easy take them for granted. They were just here. Hit after hit, year after year. Awards by the tractor-trailer load. Selling out every night. Virtually every song a big hit. You name it, they did it. -In the studio, on the radio, video, TV, literally everything, and remained relevant the whole time.

With all due respect to the giants of our format, not even Garth Brooks had as long of a run. There have been some others. George Strait (30 years) , Alan Jackson (22 years) and a handful of others, but Brooks And Dunn somehow really never had a lull in the action. They are the most consistent hit makers in country music for the last two decades. They spawned fashion, they helped make the dance clubs huge in the 90's, and found acceptance with those not wild about country music. Their songs didn't "cross over" to pop charts, but their appeal did. And that's a real great gift left behind. Bringing more people to country music. - Thank you!

And I for one am glad they didn't cross over to pop radio. They were ours! They define who we are in country music, and you had to come to us to get them. Don't get me wrong, bless those that do cross over. But I love country stars that really get the fact that country listeners love those acts that we can lay claim to. I will always love them for the music, the shows and the fact that country fans, concerts and festivals were good enough for them. They and their music didn't have to go out and try to track down people outside of country music. The new fans came looking for them! They defined "cool" in country for 20 years. That is absolute. That will be missed.

Thank you Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn. The respect I have for you is enormous and I will love and play the music for hopefully 30 more years. Seeing them Thursday on and back stage was a blessing. Sue and I talked about it afterwards, just those few minutes of thanks was something special. I am happy we got the chance.

It was an honor to play every song, every time. What a run!

No comments: