Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Quote To Remember

Earlier today, my partner Sue Wilson was checking her e-mail. She showed a message that a listener had sent to us regarding our Quote Of The Day feature we air every day at 6:45 on our show on WQMX. The quote hit him deep in the heart as he had made the very tough decision to put down his dog that he loved endlessly, who was suffering so.

The note was extremely eloquent and heartfelt. He went on to say the quote was his beloved pooch sending him words of comfort through our show. Sue and I were both very moved. Both by the note, and by the fact that someone would take the time to sit down and send us such a powerful letter thanking us, at a time when he needed comfort. Humbling to say the least. But Sue and I are both "dog" people and we really took it to heart. I can not thank him enough for sending that note in.

After I left the office it got me thinking of a day I have not really thought of in a decade or two. The one and only day, I too had to make the same decision our listener friend did. My dogs name was Taffy. Taffy was originally my brothers dog, and after he left for college, Taffy became my dog. Taffy was a border collie. Taffy and I were both children together doing child-like things. We had a huge backyard and we'd play for hours on end. Taffy had a good life, she was a part of everything we did as a family. Even after an accident where she lost a front leg, Taffy lived the second half of her life with three, but was just as wonderful as the first half.

Years later on a late Friday afternoon, I came home to find Taffy in a chronic seizure state in the bushes. It was clear that Taffy was in serious peril and suffering terribly. And because neither one of us were children anymore, I knew that this was the day I always knew would come, and always hoped wouldn't. It was dinner time and the vets were closed, and I was alone for the night with almost no money. I called my friend Joe. I was about 18 or so, and I was crying, watching Taffy suffer so. I explained my situation to my friend. And somehow we found a vet that was willing to wait for us.

This was about a year or so after my father died, and I was still struggling mightily with death and dying. I was not afraid, I do remember that, but I was sad, simply sad. As Joe drove Taffy and I to the vet, the drive of a couple miles seemed so long. The whole thing is still so fuzzy to me. I remember the faces of the office staff as I carried Taffy in. They were very nice to me, and assured me all would be alright. And then, slow motion.....that's all I remember.

Days later I was told that Joe's mom and dad had stepped in and paid the vet to end Taffy's suffering. I don't think it was considered a whole lot of money even then, but it was to me, and I didn't have it. I said I would pay it back, and they lovingly said, no thank you. To this day I still owe them the money, but I owe them much, much more. I think to be honest, it's maybe the best money ever spent on me. It certainly still stirs me when I think of it. Every time I see Barb and Paul, it's the first thing I think of. The huge act of kindness shown to a high school boy at a time Taffy needed a hero.

In my life I think it was landmark day. I loved Taffy more that day than any other. Her final day. And that day she loved me same. And the love shown to me that day by my friend and his family has always been close to my heart, even on most days when I keep that memory far from my mind.

Bless you our listener friend. Bless you and the walk you had to take. It may feel like a walk taken alone, but you're not alone...not alone.....

Oh, and the Quote Of The Day? "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss.

No comments: