Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Different Kind Of Sunday

Cold weather and a Northeast Ohio winter means sadly for me, no golf.

I love my Sunday morning Dewsweeper rounds of golf with my lifelong friends Don, Tex and Joe. We tee it up early every Sunday at a different course in the area, and have the time of our lives. Golf, friendship, a cigar or two, a hot dog at the turn and standing on the first tee at 6am with the dew and the fog and the dawn. It's great and not to be traded.

In the winter time, I find though that Sunday mornings are still dear to me. Just in a different way. Maybe it's the same for you, a certain time of a certain day that is a little different than the rest. I have learned over time for me, it is Sunday morning. Five days a week I gladly get up at roughly 230 AM to do the morning show with Sue Wilson on WQMX. And many times on Saturday, our schedule is full with terrific station appearances and remotes. So what seems to be different, is that Sunday is reserved for me to have no particular place of consequence to go.

I still get up early, and in the cold I go for a walk and get some exercise in. Then it's the coffee and my dog Kona and the quiet before the dawn. I usually sit and do some writing for this website and a couple of others this company owns. And I find that I still love Sunday mornings even if it doesn't involve swinging a Taylor Made driver, striking a Pro V 1, or a Nat Sherman cigar ignited by a Calibri lighter. There's just a certain goodness to a Sunday morning. Knowing that it is a day of rest. I love the golf, and that great dinner that comes dear on a grill at an earlier time than most dinners do.

But cold weather Sunday morning is a good day too. And the best thing about it maybe is not just the quiet and the coffee, but the reward for a week well done. Also it fires the anticipation that Monday morning will be here shortly after rest, and so will the show and the wonderful moments me, Sue and our show partners will share over the next five days. That will eventually lead to another Sunday dawn for me.

Maybe the lesson is this. It's always good to get up and be with the exact people you want to be with every single day, doing exactly what you want to be doing. That makes even cold weather days, special days.

And the stage is set for me, by a different kind of Sunday.

No comments: