Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Game And The Game

A gift my father gave me so many years ago when I was a little guy, was the understanding to be a fan of the game, and not the game. No matter what game it was. There is a difference. I have learned that over time, that spills over to avenues a plenty in life.

Monday of this week, you probably came across a Steeler fan or two bemoaning the nocturnal loss Sunday against the Packers. Making excuses, looking for answers clearly in evidence in front of them. Wondering how did we lose. My day, my week is ruined. Facebook streamed with whining, and complaining. All from some, but not all fans, that have enjoyed more success than virtually every other NFL team over he course of almost 40 years. I heard, read and saw some real anger, and it just flabbergasted me. Loss of perspective.

Let's see what we all had Sunday. The team with the most NFL titles, against the team with the most Superbowl wins. Arguably the most successful teams in NFL history, because let's remember the NFL was crowing champions decades before the Superbowl. That moment alone, us, privileged enough to watch two heritage franchises square off on the worlds biggest stage is reason for us to celebrate - the game, and not this game. Although, it was a great game.

Hey, the Cav's have lost 25 in a row. I hear people all the time griping, "I wouldn't go down there to watch that junk...blah blah..." Yeah, I want them to win too, but it doesn't make going to the Q with your kids any less fun, less important, or less memory making. Because celebrating the game...and not the game is where you can draw the most out of it. As a life long Cleveland sports team fan I can attest to it. Isn't being a fan of any team supposed to be fun? Isn't that why we do it? Not many things can galvanize an area better than a winning team in any sport. And during those lively times, we all can go on a ride that can be enjoyed and remembered for generations to come. Regardless of the eventual outcome. For it was the game that was enjoyed.

I go to the Indians opening day every year. Do you think it's because I want to get my name on the list for World Series tickets? No, it's the day, the beer, the hot dog, the sun, and the spring. It's the beginning of a new season, it's the good stuff. I celebrate that day, I honor the game.

We don't do anything else that way in our personal life. We don't fall in love to have a better relationship than our friends. We don't have children so we can beat the Smiths up the street in family teather ball or kickball. For me, I certainly don't play golf because I have visions of going on tour and taking down Tiger. We do those things in our leisure because of the joy it all can bring. Or at least we should. Because the game, will bring infinitely more joy than, the game.

Being a fan of the game for me.....has served me well. That little fact alone has made me happier in my life, and has reminded me that life is better looked at through a picture window and not a port hole. That a gloomy day today, can give way to a day with an endless sun tomorrow.

And that some games are meant to, and should be won......but most are simply made to be played.

No comments: