Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not Wasting The Warm

I am not a complainer.

In fact, no one in my life of any consequence is. That doesn't mean we all don't have a moment or two to go off and rip a blue streak about something that is firmly under our skin. It's natural to get it off your chest and out there. But I don't even call that complaining. I call that getting it off your chest so you don't literally blow up and detonate. You know how complainers are...always beefing about something, blah, blah, blah. That's not us.

But I gotta launch off on this "spring" so far. Today, as I write this I am looking out my home office window and see it snowing - hard! This winter weather is Methuselah old with me right now. Even though it has only been about 4 months, this winter seems to go on and on. Today, I will curse the cold. I am ready to welcome the warm. And this year, I'm not wasting one minute of it when (and if) it finally gets here.

Upon arrival of the warm, I just might camp out this summer in the backyard with a pup tent I'm sure I could find at Rite Aid. My plan is to be outside around 15 hours a day, and I will not once ask anyone "Hot enough for Ya?" Dumb question anyway. Ask that when you live on the equator or something, or a least the Tropic of Capricorn. This is Akron, Ohio man!

I'm going to mow, edge and trim the yard every day. My garage will be so organized I will be the envy of the neighborhood. My cars will proudly glisten in the sun from the weekly waxing they will lovingly receive from my tan hands. I will attend numerous Indians games, and might even see a win. I will go to a few Aero's games too and have a beer that will cost one third as much as an Indians beer. I will be at the Blossom shows with my workmates, shmoozing, having margaritas, a cigar or two and having fun.

I am going to ride my bike everyday and the BBQ grill every night. Our friends Don and Terri have a pool, and at some time every single day my feet are going to be in it. And, I am going to play so much golf, my arms may literally be dragging the ground by October.

OK, that all might be a bit dramatic. But that's the way I feel right now, and have been for a few weeks. This painful, agonizing, arduous journey from the cold to the warm is wearing us down. It's like running the bases on opening day with a refrigerator on your back. And quite frankly, I'm over it. I see Facebook updates today too saying how pretty the snow is. Oh for heavens sake, give it a rest, zip it and move to Anchorage!

OK, get a grip. April is almost here and the dew and the dawn of a new day will soon be upon us. And yes, the cold will be conquered and the warm and the sun will settle in for long pleasant days and smooth summer nights.

And after this winter, I'm not wasting one minute of the warm.

No comments: