Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Perfect Mix

A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about dog named Mixer. Mixer came to our attention on WQMX by way of the wonderful people at One Of A Kind Pet Rescue in Akron. Mixer is young, 35 pound dog thrown out of a moving car in Akron. As a result, Mixer physically lost both of his eyes. The people at OOAK should be commended for unbelievable work with this dog, and all that are fortunate to come into their care

I am very happy to say right here, right now, Mixer has been adopted by wonderful people who have renamed him Mix. He will have a life now that most dogs dream of.

When my partner Sue Wilson and I on WQMX learned of this story, it really moved us. Kind of shook us up. We both love dogs, and both of us were really stunned by this whole thing. To be honest, at first this really made me mad. How on Earth could someone do this? I carried it with me for a few days, then I went over to OOAK to see Mixer. And it turned out to be a good decision......for me. I needed to see him, even if he couldn't see me. My anger quickly subsided, and my compassion kicked in.

On the first occasion I met him, it was hard for me, and for him. It was difficult to see such a nice pooch so wounded. I spent about an hour with him. He was friendly and I think he was glad I was there. But after a few minutes, he was whining. Not normal whining, but frustrated whining. You can hear the difference. What I heard was, "Why can't I see anymore?" And that was hard. We played a bit and got to know each other.

My next few visits, he recognized my scent I think. A nice greeting in my lap, and some playing and no whining. He actually came over after a few minutes and fell fast asleep on my feet, for about an hour. This was the pattern for future visits I had with him. To be honest, I really thought about adopting Mixer. But as moved as I was by this pooch, I knew in my heart I was not the right fix for Mix. Our schedule and our home with tons of steps on wooden floors was a problem too. Also I live on a good size lot that is not development living, but I was envisioning Mix being able to run fast and free with other dogs, with no chance of any kind of accident happening with car and canine. He'd had enough of that. Our house is not perfect for that.

I met the angels that adopted Mix this weekend at an appearance at Giant Eagle in Streetsboro. And I am here to report to you, that Mix seems to have landed on his feet just fine. These folks love him and realize how special he is. They have other animals and have places for Mix to be the dog he should be. He has kids and a family and a place to tear around like a vibrant dog should have. He's earned that. I could not be happier for them, and for the dog. They told me that he sleeps with them on the bed, and keeps an eye, (or in his case a nose) on their family when things go bump in the night.

It's clear, that's all that Mix ever wanted to do. And now he can. It is also clear that Mixer is special because he's a good dog... and because of his ailment. Mixer will be a great example to all he meets, and for children for a lifetime. He will have much to teach them. - And all of us.

Mixer is also an example of what's good about creatures in the world with his resilience and his willingness to forgive. All the while, being a constant reminder there are those out there.... who don't care one bit about such things.

He quite possibly is...The Perfect Mix.

No comments: