Thursday, November 8, 2007

"Nashville, The Eagles Have Landed......"

By and large it is hard to watch Rock and Roll singers and bands get old. I hate it. Heroes and idles from our youth turning....old.....whatever age "old" actually is. Who can forget the disaster that took place at the 50 yard line of the Superbowl a year or two ago, when the Rolling Stones "performed" at halftime. Even Paul McCartney a couple years earlier put us through the same agony at the big game too. And don't even get me started on Phil Collins, Elton John or The Doobie Brothers. Stars one and all and among may faves growing up. Long past their performing prime. Just a bunch of guys that should just go enjoy the hundreds of millions of dollars they have made, get a standing tee time, buy a boat and spend equal amounts of time in their many houses situated around the world. In Paul McCartney's case get his divorce settled. Not a bad plan.

But to every rule there is an exception. "Ladies and Gentlemen....The EAGLES!" Remember them? Hotel California, One Of These Nights, Desperado? Those Eagles. Frey, Henley, Walsh, you know...that bunch. The Eagles landed Wednesday night at the CMA awards in Nashville and performed as a unit for the first time ever on an awards show. I have to admit, I was nervous. How pitiful is THIS going to be? But after hearing their new single How Long sung on national TV, I breathed a sigh of relief, and sat back in my recliner. These are the Eagles I remember. They looked and sounded great..... like........The Eagles! Not pitiful 65 year old men flopping around on stage with more make-up on than actual body weight, who have long since lost their allure singing songs for the 145th millionth time! This was a big stage that The Eagles were willing to walk on after 28 years between albums.

It isn't often that great things are equally great the second time around. I'm not saying this is, what I'm saying is for one moment in time, when our memories were on the line, the Eagles did not disappoint. I know, they looked a little stiff, with the old school guitars, and hairstyles and a more quiet presentation than the half a dozen stars that performed ahead of them. BUT, they raised the bar for the evening, and riveted the audience, even the majority of the performers who were not even born when the Eagles were soaring to their zenith years ago. A standing ovation, deserved and observed. Every star that performed after them, had to raise their game. Luckily a commercial break bridged the gap between them and the next singer. And honestly, I can't remember who that was. Because I just saw hero's of my adolescence not let my generation down.

The Eagles are an American treasure. Why tread on a slope so slippery, where others of their era have embarrassed themselves? Make no mistake this was a gamble. It took guts to erase the years of success, and put yourself out there for all to judge all over again. These judges too by and large were not around the first time The Eagles were flying. I was nervous, I'm sure they were too. Maybe they had the luxury of watching others attempt before them, and learned from their miscues. Kicked the bones and carcasses out of their way, and made sure The Eagles would fly, before actually jumping off the cliff.

The Eagles were a huge deal when I was growing up, and were all of our favorites. I wasn't ready to watch them crash-land in some ill advised comeback attempt. I was not prepared to have to explain to the many people 15 years my junior that I work with that they were once really great, and last night was a shame. I have been spared that fate.

But more importantly......thankfully so have The Eagles!

1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Hi Scott

I'm a regular listener to you and Shannon. I enjoy the show and have written a couple of time. I just noticed the sight and will try to visit more often. Keep up the good work.

I added you to my blog roll. I do a lot of country music posts. I think Shannon would enjoy my Gary Allen / Keith Urban post.

I did a post on the Eagles recenetly:
http://thefishingguy.blogspot.com/2007/11/eagles-come-flying-back.html