Thursday, November 29, 2007

I Took Seinfeld For Granted - And I'm Sorry!

When the show Seinfeld was airing the 90's, I didn't watch it much. I don't really know why exactly. I was doing the Morning Show in Lakeland, Florida at WPCV-FM and 3 AM does come early. Plus I think in the years that Seinfeld was on NBC, there were plenty of other shows on various networks on various days that could make us laugh. There was no actual need to watch Seinfeld. Now there is! How times have changed.

The writers strike aside, even when they're working, the sitcom on network TV is in serious trouble. I know there are some shows with some success, Two And A Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and others. But to be honest, they don't make us laugh like those Seinfeld clowns. And it's not even close! We kind of took Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer for granted in those days, and I'd like to apologize to them for that. We really didn't know how good we had it back then. We thought that the funny shows were just going to roll on forever, but they haven't have they? Creating a truly funny show has to be a lot harder than we must know, because they haven't created one in a really long time.

This is not longing for the old days. Seinfeld is not the "old days." It's not all that long ago at all. Thank goodness for TBS. At the end of the day when I'm done with the world and I want something to crack me up. It's Seinfeld. You know the simple truth is even a decade later to me, it is easily the funniest show on TV. Best part is, we can watch it many times a day now instead of once a week in the 90's.

I know the curse too. The four stars have not had real success since the show ended. Well so what? Jerry is still a funny stand up, Jason Alexander (George) has had his flops, Micheal Richards (Kramer) his troubles too, and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (Elaine) does have a new show (New Adventures of Old Christine) that's on from time to time. But it's all academic. They were among the funniest ensemble casts ever put on TV. And luckily with cable and DVD, we'll be able to watch them forever. Plus in the case of Dreyfuss, I think she is one of the funniest women to ever be on a sitcom. She's in the same class as Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore. She was absolutely fantastic on that show. The heck with the curse. Those 4 worked their whole careers to get a gig so great. They climbed to the top of their profession, and stayed there unchallenged for 9 years. They do not need to answer to any critic anywhere.

I miss the great sitcom. This is the era of crime-dramas and reality TV. Nothing really wrong with either one. I can catch Law and Order SVU, or American Idol, Survivor too. I'll even admit to watching Dancing With The Stars. But I miss the really funny sitcoms. I mean the REALLY FUNNY ones. Shows we'll still be roaring over a decade later. I don't mean simply laughing at, I mean howling.

I am very sorry I took it all for granted all those many years. I have seen my errors and have taken the appropriate steps. Tell me you don't laugh out loud at Seinfeld after all this time. I still do every single time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Chuckles the Clown? Oh yeah, he died! It was a freak accident. He went to the parade dressed as Peter Peanut...and a rogue elephant tried to shell him.

"A little song--A little dance--A little seltzer down your pants."

Lou