Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The New Holiday Classics?.......Not!

I was looking on line a the movie listings today, and this just hit me like a ton of bricks. I looked a few times, and then started piecing this together. Here we are just a few weeks from Christmas, and just in time for you to gather the kids and family and go to the flicks!!! And why not?. It's an American tradition, Christmas time and Christmas movies. FUN!!!

I hope that no matter what form of entertainment medium comes out in the future, that we always go to the flicks. I know it's expensive, and the dining at the theater is expensive too, but it's a slice of American communilism that I'm not willing to give up yet. So let's load up right now, let's even take gramps and granny out for a great American night at holiday time and see what's showing down at the old movie house! Let's see how we can all fly into December, soaring with the holiday spirit as a family!!!!!!!!!

Let's see what's in theater one. What family wouldn't love the chance to go see the new holiday classic "Hitman?" This came out last week right on time. This frolicking flick stars a new holiday classic character named "47". You'll marvel as granny gets to watch quote "strong bloody violence and nudity" That's not my quote, it's from the movie overview. Destined to be a holiday favorite for minutes to come.

Next door is another Yuletide yawner the family will love, "American Gangster." Big stars too like Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe. A two and half hour true story picture. Lets read further, oh here we go..."violence, pervasive drug content, and of course ..nudity."

And on screen 3, 4 and 5, it's Beowulf, "disturbing images, nudity (pg-13)", No Country for Old Men "strong graphic violence, nudity," and The Mist...."violence, terror, and gore." Now see??The Mist got a little more creative and somehow got some good ol' gore tossed in there. Don't all those movies just want to make you run home and put up the tree? Actually, upon further review...they kinda do.

Now hold on, I do not have blinders on, I know there are flicks out now, that all can go to, and I respect that.

Look, I am a huge fan of the movies, and I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination. I love all kinds of movies, and respect the rights of those who make the movies. But I always thought that holiday time was a good time to go to the movies. That's when the "really good movies" come out. This is not an indictment of any of these movies. It just seems like a strange time of the year to be wading through this much carnage. Am I alone in this?? No wonder we're all so stressed at the holidays, even going to the movies is tough.

1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

I'd have to agree with you Scott. these are not Christmas time movies. I saw they were releasing "Sweeny Todd" this year for Christmas. Why?