Wednesday, November 14, 2007

C.C.'s Cy.....Sigh...

I am a huge baseball fan. I think the two best sports ever created by man are baseball, and golf. I love following baseball, and love playing golf. I grew up in Northeast Ohio, and went to old Municipal Stadium as a kid and sat in the bleachers for 50 cents. I am also a life long Indians fan, and that hasn't always been easy. Even through my radio job stops in Columbus, Richmond, Jefferson City, and Florida, I always remained a die hard Tribe fan.

When I learned today that C.C. Sabathia won the American League Cy Young award today, I felt the same pride I felt during September and October over my favorite ball club. I sighed and smiled. Like you, I got caught up in all things Tribe this season. I went to the Jake, watched them on TV, and listened on the radio. I have to admit, I was geeked up and giddy when we were up 3-1 on Boston, and deflated when we couldn't nail it down. Like you too, I was already at the World Series, long before we failed to finish off the Sox.

But When C.C. was announced as this years winner, I forgot the 6 month roller coaster of emotion that is the MLB season, and was just glad I am a Tribe fan. I'm not going into stat's here, ERA, and all that meaningless drivel . I feel today that MY team really exists. (Hang in there with me.) We haven't had a pitcher win this award since 1972 (Gaylord Perry), and these kind of honors are usually won by glitzier, sexier, bigger name pitchers that cash gargantuan paychecks and live in more exotic area codes. But the voters got it right. We lived and eventually died with C. C. all year, and he was the leagues best pitcher. THAT'S what I'm going to remember from 2007. Toss in today too, that Eric Wedge was named manager of the year, and 2007 no matter the end, was a great success. My investment of time in the Tribe, now totally validated.

I get very tired of TV networks talking up New York, Boston, and Los Angeles teams every year, and sort of knowing the Indians and their players. I'm weary too of undeserving major market players in all sports winning awards simply because they get more time on ESPN. Understand this, those pitchers and players are not better, the TV networks just say they are. I think C.C.'s Cy, is a victory for the "little guy," the underdog, and we as Americans are always willing to root for them. Well done C. C. Well done!

The Indians and underdog in the same sentence is no surprise to anyone, but C.C., and "Little Guy" in the same sentence?? I told you baseball is great game.

No comments: