Wednesday, April 23, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW - 88 Minutes

I'm getting right to it. 88 Minutes, the new Al Pacino flick may be the worst movie I've seen in a long time. My gosh where should I begin?

Al Pacino stars as an FBI forensic psychologist who testifies at high profile murder trials in an effort to put the bad guys away. He is also a college professor who owns his own agency of some kind, and seems to know everyone in the world all at the same time. Amy Brenneman, (who I really like as an actress) plays his most trusted confidant at his firm. He puts away a serial murderer-rapist at the movies inception, we flash forward 9 years and the killer sort of resurfaces from jail. Our hero Pacino is then threatened with a phone call that states he has 88 minutes to live.

Then there is call after call to keeping our hero up to date on how many minutes he has left to live. That never ends! Long story short, he doesn't die, and they try to have twists and turns but mostly the whole thing just makes you want to throw up. If you want to pay 8 bucks a person to watch people talk on the cell phone, then 88 Minutes is exactly your picture. This gets so ridiculously.....ridiculous, it's stunning to me that the director, producer, best boy, script editor, some guy getting lunch for Pacino didn't notice that this plot line is incredibly BORING!!!!!!! 88 Minutes also looks like me and three other guys who just learned how to run a camera, and coach acting were in charge. I can't believe that actors of this caliber got involved with this bunch who made this mess.

I know that cell phones and blue tooth's are how we communicate in the 21st century, but it doesn't make good movies. For the record, I never want to see Amy Brenneman and Al Pacino talk on the cell phone again, because I did yesterday for 2 long, arduous, agonizing, painstaking hours! I am firmly convinced I walked out of 88 Minutes with a lower IQ than when I walked in. I have to question my decision to sit there for the whole flick, which was 1 minute of top-notch entertainment spread out over a 2 HOUR movie.

You can pass on 88 Minutes. No movie ticket, no rental, no pay-per-view, no nothing - ever! 88 Minutes is 87 minutes too long. Easily the worst movie of 2008 so far.

No comments: