Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Helpful Hot Hints

OK, here we go. We're in the middle of a really hot streak, a heat wave as some call it. Temps well into the 90's, not just here but in a lot of places. There is absolutely no question that it is above normal now, and I have a ton of empathy for those out working in it... roofers, landscapers, road workers, and the like. These guys and gals know how to deal with the elements, but it doesn't make it any easier.


No matter what the weather, it does crack me up with the TV overreaction when we get real warm. And even though it's tough on some, come on, you gotta have a sense of humor about much of what's actually being said.


I was flipping through the channels over the weekend, and I heard a dozen people say, "Drink water and hydrate." And I'd like to say thanks for that. When I'm out in 100 degree heat doing anything at all, I never would have thought to have a glass or two of water until the TV guys told me to. I also heard 500 times, "Go to some place cool." Well, that ruins my plans of climbing in the oven and pulling the door shut behind me today. - Darn. Not to be outdone, I also heard someone say, "Go to the beach at your own peril!" When I hear the word "peril" I think of swimming with sharks with a gaping wound. Not going to the beach.....when it's really hot! Isn't that what the beach is there for? I'd think going to the beach when it's 20 below like those crazy Polar Bear people is far more perilous. But that's just me.


As long as we're being honest here, I have to tattle on another anchor I heard say this. "And if you have a pool, or wading pool....etc....." Do we need to be told that NOW is the exact time to use the pool? Or exercising advice, "Maybe do it early in the day when it's not so hot." It's cooler in the morning? I can't thank you enough.


Then comes the great mayonnaise advice, "And don't eat anything that's been sitting out in the sun with mayo for more than a couple of hours." Which leads me to this question, have you ever heard ANYONE ask at a cookout, "Hey, which one of these macaroni salads has been sitting out here in the sun the longest? That's the one for me!"


I know this is all sounds so ridiculous, but it is said every single year and time without fail. And the same goes when there's 3 feet of snow falling in an hour. "Don't go on a 50 miles drive in a blizzard, and check your tires!" Thanks again. But at the end of the day, it is literally all sound and good advice, with merit.


But is there one household in all of Northeast Ohio that isn't talking back at the TV, "Um, hello!" And when it's all said and done, they get a pass. We know you gotta do what you gotta do.


But... dude!?

No comments: