Monday, September 15, 2008

Celebrate The Women!

This is in honor of the new flick out this week The Women. All of the women in the movie are there to make us laugh, and many of them have been doing it for a long time. So I thought this might be a good time to celebrate the women who make us laugh every day. Hopefully there is one in your life.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something that's very endearing about a woman that isn't afraid to step out of the comfort zone and take a chance on looking somewhat silly at times. Truth is, that is not in some womens nature, or some mens nature either. But we like that! Sometimes as a society we expect men to look foolish, so it's not as amusing after a while. But women that are willing to take that same chance are just funnier for it.

Television has been loaded with them. Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler Moore, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Fran Drescher, and now Tina Fey, and of course every one's favorite Friend was Phoebe! TV reflects our lives much of the time. We love all these women because they were funny, and not afraid to take a chance. Would you rather see Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, or City of Angels? Case closed.

My wife Stacy...she cracks me up! She can get so physically funny getting excited about the smallest thing. One time she chipped in a shot in the 5th green while we were playing golf, and I thought she was going to have a heart attack. You would have thought she won the lottery (I was hoping that she did) , but good for her. With all her jumping around, screaming and cheering, I watched sheer joy come over her. She didn't care who saw her, and that's just flat out endearing. Stacy also doesn't mind when the joke is on her, and that's about as attractive as it gets.

Every single one of my buddy's wives, without exception has been blessed with a good sense of humor and has made me laugh and shared in big laughs with us over the years. One of them even gave us all an accidental sour cream splashing in her face and hair episode one nice summer afternoon at the Sunday dinner table. And when SHE laughed at herself about it, all was good. You see, it just wouldn't have been as funny if the sour cream had splashed in my face and hair. Guys are expected to do that kind of thing. Happens all the time.

My sister Kris is 7 years older than me. She was the first girl that could make me laugh, and she still does. She too, can get geeked up over life's small joys, and that's fun to watch as well. She has a big laugh, and did our family one better, she married a guy who's a hoot too. Bill has one of the sharpest wits I've ever heard. You could shave with it

My new partner Sue Wilson. One of the interesting things about her? It seems that sometimes she doesn't know how funny she really is, and that flat out cracks me up to begin with. But when she steps off the ledge and takes a chance on the show that many women wouldn't, that's just funny in itself. Good for you Sue.

These are some of the great women in my life, and I know I'm lucky to be around these women every day. I love to laugh. And guys, isn't there something really endearing when a woman makes you laugh? Oh course!

So to all the above mentioned great women, thanks for giving me a laugh every day. Mine and the lives of others are better for it. Let's celebrate the women! Guess now I gotta go see the movie.

No comments: