Monday, September 29, 2008

Not A Dry Eye In The House

Over the weekend my bride Stacy wanted me to take her to the movies. She decided that Nights In Rodanthe was on the top of her list, so we went. For those of you not real familiar with that movie, it's written by Nicolas Sparks who has written tons of heavy-drama, love stories that almost always end up with a main character dying before their time leaving true love and happiness out of reach. Now doesn't that sound fun?

So we went. And as I watched the theater patrons during the movie, it got me thinking about the differences between men and women and their movie watching habits. During Rodanthe, I looked around at opportune times. When there was some big moving moment, especially when Richard Gere was heaping on thick some wonderful out-of-the-movies line to Diane Lane I would see the shiny cheeks all around the theaters. You know, the light tears that make cheeks shiny in the movie light? You could also hear the sniffs, and the nose blowing that goes along with crying, and the sobbing, and it got me thinking again. Is this fun?????

Think about it, knowingly paying 8 bucks a throw, to go to the movies and cry in front of 100 people or so. And there lies the difference, in just that simple sentence. And keep in mind......this is what we're doing for enjoyment. There was one woman that was so choked up, she picked up her purse and walked out with about 15 minutes to go. Gurgling, choking,and sniffing the whole way. She did come back after composing herself in the can......I mean ladies room, sorry, and she finished off the movie. She just couldn't miss any more of the fun I guess.

I wanted to make this announcement to all before the movie started, "OK, it's Nicolas Sparks, so don't get too attached to the characters, because one of them will certainly die!" But I didn't. I knew this from history, not from the story. Then when one of them DOES die in Rodanthe, the place goes all boo-hooey! I mean a wailing, blubbering mess! I think most of these people had even read the book and the KNEW it was going to happen. Even more fun! This is a blast.

That night though is when the real difference slapped me square in the face. We stopped over our friends Don and Terri's house. Stacy was talking about Rodanthe at length and was in the middle of the whole sad, lovey-dovey thing, when there was a quick lull. Don then asked me in front of the wives, if I really had a Double Beef Whopper before we came over. Which I was bragging about as I entered their house. I confirmed it - yes. He then we switched our conversation over to the awesomeness of such a burger, and how long it had been since we had one last. And then even a memory or two of a Double Beef Whopper we ate once. The girls were less than amused.

Look, the truth is we're different and that's great, even preferred. This weekend it just hit me right between the eyes, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Next time, I get to pick the flick. Hmmm.... And by the way, that Double Beef Whopper??? Now THAT was a beautiful thing.

No comments: