Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Generosity

I glanced back and saw that I've written about this before, but on the eve of one of our really big charity fundraisers, The WQMX Tree Of Lights, thought it was worth revisiting. For three emotional days we will be raising money to light our 3 story "Tree" at the station, all while raising money for the Haven Of Rest in Akron. A worthy recipient to be sure.

I really believe in the TOL, and have since coming to WQMX in 2001 from WPCV in Lakeland, Florida. While in Florida, I started a reading program where I went to elementary schools to read to K-3rd graders about once a week. A program I want to start back up in Akron after the first of the year. The reason was simple, it made me feel good about what I do for a living. I gave a little back to a community that had given to me. And the TOL does the same thing.

Every year generous people show up at the TOL and give what they can, and we always get the tree lit. This year may be a bit more challenging with the economy and all, but I have faith that all will be fine. And every year you can't help but be amazed by the generosity of your friends and neighbors.

Generous people are amazing. They always give to whatever is being undertaken, and almost without exception say, "Gosh, I wish I could do more." And I believe them completely. You seldom see a giver say, "All right, go ahead take the money, sheesh....if I have too." That's not the DNA of a giver. Generous people give because they have a core belief that it's the right thing to do. And it is. They have more than a smile on their face, they have a smile in their heart.

As a result of that, generous people are also the happiest people you'll know. Seldom is a generous person not thrilled to be alive, and fun to be around. They bring you up, change the dynamics of a room just by walking into it, and set a pace for others to follow. They propagate more generosity around themselves, and plant the seed in you ...if you're paying attention. They understand that giving is good for the heart, and doesn't do the soul any harm either. They give money, time and of themselves. And many times....give all three.

We all enjoy seeing many familiar faces at the TOL, and new ones too. We hope to see yours there this week. We have some that have made it out every year, and give larger gifts every time. Kids too amaze me. They give their piggy banks, or large bottles of change that they've saved all year for just those few moments of handing it over to the TOL. Guess it doesn't hurt to start them early. And no matter who you are, we appreciate all of you that show up and give every single year.

It's Tree Of Lights time! And when you help us light the tree, you can drive by and shine as bright as the beautiful tree, knowing your generosity help to make it so.

No comments: